Xiaomi Gateway and how to get the correct one

Hi
As an owner of 1 Gateway already, i decided to buy a 2nd one.
Found out that the new model came with the issue where the port was closed and required soldering (mac address starting with 4)

I am creating this post so that people can know before they buy (and avoid some links if its those that come with ports closed)

NOT WORKING

WORKING

• No available yet

if anyone have links to those that do not have ports closed please contribute and ill update accordingly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just wondering if anyone knows, are v2 gateways ports open by default?
Also does anyone knows is it physically easy to distinguish between v2 and v3 from the back of the device?

I have a V2 and they were but DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!!!

This is how a lot of people are falling over is they instantly update the firmware which closes them.

1 Like

Hi
May I ask why you are upgrading?
I think I reach the maximum number of units but I not sure.
I’ve been looking at the new gateway build into a camera, it looks interesting.

Not updating.
I am in a similar situation like you where im reaching the device limit
So i bought a new one and it was closed.

@richatha can you show how the back of your v2 looks like?

If you have reached the limit it might be worth to look at Conbee or Zigbee2MQTT instead of another Xiaomi gateway. Apart from not facing the issues with blocked ports these gateways create a mesh network using all your Zigbee devices while adding a anoth Xiaomi gateway will create a second Zigbee network which is not strengthening the whole network.

are you sure this is correct?

I thought all the controllers had a relatively small (20-40) limit on the number of devices that they can manage. Meshing/repeating is different - for example a mains powered xiaomi zigbee switch will extent the network coverage for any devices handled off the same hub.

but the devices from one hub wont mesh with devices from the second hub. They will be two separate networks.

Yes, I’m sure. It’s like @sparkydave mentions, they will not mesh between gateways. Conbee can handle up to 200 devices as far as I remember, and a single repeater can handle up to 32 devices. Both zigbee2mqtt and conbee are able to create much more reliable networks.

ahh - in that case I apologise - I didnt realise that the conbee solution worked that way.

(and yes - i realise that the xiaomi hubs are independent of each other)

Here you go.

It was this specific one from gear best.

https://www.gearbest.com/living-appliances/pp_344667.html?wid=1433363

Just don’t update the firmware!

1 Like

So, if I have e.g. 40 devices i would need two Conbee repeaters that would give a total 64 possible devices and they would be in the same mesh network, right?

No, conbee itself can handle 200 devices. Repeaters (basically mains powered devices) make the mesh network stronger. If you have some light bulbs, they will act as repeaters. Yes all in the same mesh network and on the same Zigbee channel (important to avoid possible WiFi inteference)

I bought the exact one around the 10th of june, those are v3 hubs, and it came in with closed ports

That’s incorrect.

This is definitely a V2 as the V3 is compatible with Home Kit only. This comes in a box with no home kit branding on it which is how i know it’s a V2.

Also i was on a 150 version number which is a long way behind before the current one which has the closed ports bug on it so it works fine. Please don’t try and confuse the matter it doesn’t help

from what I understand, as long as it is working/open before you upgrade firmware, you should be ok. This is certainly personal experience. ymmv.

Alright thanks. Sorry for the misunderstanding
In the logs (in the app) i saw it as lumiv3 and i thought its what i meant a v3 hub.

I forgot to check the firmware version as i already returned it, im just wanted to say that the one i received in june (from gearbest) was locked right off the box.