Xiaomi Gateway no Longer connecting on latest firmware - "Invalid Config"

1.4.1_167.0158 is working here. Although it had to be hacked as stated in previous posts.

I tried the UART connection but somehow I can’t seem to get in.
I have a round hub with fw version 1.4.1_167

Using this cable: https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_TTL-232R_CABLES.pdf > TTL-232R-3V3 which I’ve had laying around for serial connection to my Beaglebone Black. Is this not the correct cable?

Connecting with “screen -L /dev/cu.usbserial-A603LDNK” and I see nothing. Nor with “screen -L /dev/tty.usbserial-A603LDNK 115200”

I do as the instructions say, connect TX and GND, and wait until I see connection in the app (eg change color) to connect RX. I noticed that when TX or RX are connected when the hub powers on, it doesn’t seem to want to boot at all.

Can anyone confirm with the the following photos, the connection points are OK?

Any ideas?

Edit: Got it work, UART TX goes to Hub RX and vice versa of course, silly me!

1 Like

Sorry, i tried everything like the instructions, i can see the messages in putty, but i can NOT send the command… I dont know how to do that… Can you please explain. Thx.

Have you tried hit Enter few times to have a hash at the beginning? And then start typing your commands.

I have recieved Xiaomi Gateway from Aliexpress and unfortunatelly had the same issues with connecting it to HA.

My MAC wasn’t in the list - in fact it starts with 28:6C:07 - but the port 9898 was closed, so this thread was very useful for me to get it working.

I was first unlucky with soldering the TX connector and accidentally tear the metal contact off the gateway board - it wasn’t very hard to do that in fact. So I did appreciate to find another step by step approach on russian blog, which shows another point on the board, where you can alternatively solder TX, RX and GND.

In fact there are much more detailed instructions for beginner like me.

And connecting TX from gateway to RX on UART and vice versa is a really good to point out.

Were you able to solve this issue?
I’m so painfully close! I was able to open the gateway, solder it, I can connect to it through minicom (I’m in Linux) and I can see all the messages coming out, but I can’t get it to respond to my commands! It’s so frustrating, if I could only send the command to open the port I’d be finally done with this!
Any ideas on how to get it to take input via serial would be greatly welcomed.

Not sure if this matters but I’m on Firmware 1.4.1_176.0220

oooooh! Alelujah!

I was finally able to get this step done!

For the next poor soul, these are the small tips that were missing for me:

• I was using minicom on Linux to try to get this working, but it would ignore the commands I sent. I installed Putty (yes, it exists for Ubuntu as well, just apt install putty) and that worked as a charm
  • Silly but I had assumed that in the picture showing where to solder things, “Rx” meant “this is where you should connect the Rx end of the UART dongle” but in reality it meant “This is the Rx terminal of the serial port on the Getway”. In other words: connect Rx from the Gateway to Tx in the UART and vice-versa (duh)
  • I found this additional post which explains the same thing but a bit cleaner, it helped me confirm these were the right steps (and hinted me to putty): Cannot connect Xiaomi Gateway (lumi.gateway.v3) to HA - #126 by Swaq

Thanks, community!
Now on to trying to get the Gateway Key to see if I can finally integrate this.