Xiaomi Gateway Protocol?

Wondering if anyone has information about the developer protocol used by the Xiaomi Zigbee —> WiFi Gateways.

Ive successfully enabled development mode, (a few sources say not possible on the newer models, but its just moved to a new location), and I’m pretty sure I could get Home Assistant talking to it if that was my end goal, but thats not. I’m actually looking to write a standalone datalogger for the temperature sensors (my Home assistant box and my Xiaomi devices live in different locations).
Ive been googling around, but all I can find is how to hook it up to different home automation systems, and nothing about the actual protocol being used.

Perhaps the best way is just read the code.

Ok…Did you notice the “Edit this page on GitHub” link so your knowledge could support others?

I hope you do realize this is a HA forum. Announcing your “end goal” is not to improve Xiaomi-HA implementation might not be the best start of this thread.

@sjee — want to be honest off the bat, also want to make sure someone doesnt just jump in and repeat how to do it with home assistant…
Once I confirm absolutely that I’ve already done what I think I’ve done, I’ll edit the GitHub entry, don’t want to edit while only being 90%. Procedure is:
Open the hub, tap the triple dots, tap about, tap the open space a bunch of times, tap the second chinese entry in the list, flip the toggle switch at the top, copy the english looking character string in the middle of the Chinese text (as I dont speak chinese I’m not certain I’m in the right place)

@clyra Thanks for the link. Never learned to speak python, but I guess there is no time like the present. I’ll read up and see what I can figure out.

Found this in the code https://aqara.gitbooks.io/lumi-gateway-lan-communication-api/content/ this looks very hopeful.

Hi @Dale_Atkin, do you remember where you found the developer option on your Aqara Gateway? I can’t find any documentation online for the Aqara newest Gateway, only for the oldest Mi Gateway.

See a few posta up [quote=“Dale_Atkin, post:4, topic:134143”]
Open the hub, tap the triple dots, tap about, tap the open space a bunch of times, tap the second chinese entry in the list, flip the toggle switch at the top, copy the english looking character string in the middle of the Chinese text (as I dont speak chinese I’m not certain I’m in the right place)
[/quote]

Is this the version people say doesn’t work? (Can confirm it works with the above process works)

No it’s the DGNWG05LM that doesn’t work anymore. Typically received with the Mi Smart Sensor Set. There is no more “About” button and it can’t be set to china.