Xiaomi gateway & Zigbee plug

Hi all!

Quick question about using the Xiaomi zigbee plugs as range extender for the gateway. Hopefully someone here will know.

Will devices automatically connect to the plug if the signal strength is higher, or do I have to route it through the plug myself? If so, how?

Thanks!

Yes, devices will automatically pick the “best” route. That may not be what you think is the best route though. For example, a device with a strong signal to a router may still communicate directly.

You can’t change how devices route.

1 Like

But You have to know that when plug will go offline, all devices connected to it and not to gateway will go offline as well

1 Like

Great, thank you both!

Is there a way to “heal” the network automatically, like with z-wave in Home Assistant?

No need, and Heal is more likely to be harmful than helpful (Z-Wave Plus devices will learn the best route over time, when you Heal them you cause that knowledge to be wiped and they start again).

1 Like

Well, just wondering if there is a way to keep from losing devices over time. I need to reboot the gateway fairly regularly.

Did you end up buying one and did it extend your signal?
I’m also looking into extending my Xiaomi Mesh. I have a few sensors that is on the edge and doesn’t update as often as wanted. So I was wondering if I could go with this or if I should buy a second Gateway.

Hi!

I already had two of them, but was wondering about how they work.
It seems to work better now that I re-added the devices is question, close to the plug.

Did some tests with the zigbee USB stick, but it seems a bit to flaky for my liking, so I will keep using my Xiaomi gateway.

Okay, maybe I will go ahead and try a plug. I did order an extra Gateway - at least I can use it as a Sirene :blush:

yeah it is not going to break the bank either way :slight_smile:

Hey again,
I never got any further, but what plug was it you bought and used as an extender?

The Xiaomi Plug, Zigbee edition.

I hear the IKEA ones are good too, and cheap. Not sure if they would work with your gateway. I recently changed to the ConbeeII :slight_smile: