Xiaomi Honeywell smoke detector bluetooth: how to add it

Hello,

I ordered Xiaomi Honeywell smoke detector bluetooth out of AliExpress and instead of ZigBee I got Bluetooth one :frowning:

Is there a way to integrate it with Home Assistant?

If yes, I guess I can use the Bluetooth embedded into the Raspberry pi :slight_smile:

And how would you extend the BT range to a different floor? (Is there a way to “bring around BT signal”?)

Thank you all

Hi Ivan,
I did not test the following, but maybe you can find guidance from

Cheers,
Guido

2 Likes

and to ‘extend BT’ to your other floor you may try to get an ESP32 device (couple of USD on AliExpress) and flash with ESPHome (now integral part of Home Assistant). This will make following connection:
smoke detector <—BT—> ESP32 <—WiFi—> Router/AP <—> Raspberry

2 Likes

Thank you @guidok

I have actually found the same project
 already placed the order for the ESP32 :slight_smile: looking forward to try it out!

Which project did You find!? Did You end up with success?
I have a ESP32 loaded with esp32_ble_tracker but don’t know what the sensor info for this smoke detector actually is!

Hi Guidok, Is there a decent tutorial or guide that You are aware of to do the configuration? I have flashed my ESP32 and tried to auto discover the smoke detector and manually create it. I just dont seem to be able to get it to work. Was copying this example esphome-components/examples/ble_gateway at main · myhomeiot/esphome-components · GitHub

Hi JoWink, unfortunately I didn’t come across a tutorial. I’ve been doing trial and error. I’ve mine (KlikAanKlikUit Smoke Detector) connected to HA via a Conbee II stick. But this is using Zigbee (not BT / BLE). This pretty easy connects and then has few attributes available in HA. My Conbee II stick (via USB to RPi4) is very close to the Smoke Detector.
Here is a part of my esp32 config file, that might be of use (with an example of another BLE device) in case you have a bluetooth version. You will need to get the mac address from the esp32 log file (when you see blue tooth tracker active) and then edit/update your esp32 file.

esphome:
  name: esp32-01
  platform: ESP32
  board: nodemcu-32s

substitutions:
  hostname: esp32-01

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password
  fast_connect:
  manual_ip:
    static_ip: xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
    gateway: xxx.xxx.xx.xxx
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
  ap: # enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
    ssid: "ESP32_01 Fallback Hotspot"
    password: "xxxxxxxxx"

captive_portal:

# Enable Web
web_server:
  port: 80

logger:
  level: DEBUG

api:
  password: !secret esphome_password

ota:
#  safe_mode: True
  password: !secret esphome_password

# Bluetooth activation
esp32_ble_tracker:

sensor:
#   XiaoMi BLE temperature sensor LCD
#   https://dev.drun.net/2020/10/25/bluetooth-low-energy-ble-sensors-into-home-assistant/       
  - platform: xiaomi_lywsd03mmc
    id: "ble_01"
    mac_address: "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" # XiaoMi BLE Temp
    bindkey: "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
    temperature:
      name: "ble_01_temp"
    humidity:
      name: "ble_01_humidity"
    battery_level:
      name: "ble_01_battery"

# Wifi signal strength sensor
  - platform: wifi_signal
    name: $hostname WiFi
    update_interval: 300s

# Device Status (Sensor)
binary_sensor:
  - platform: status
    name: $hostname Status

Worked for me. Thank you!!

Hint: Token Extractor is needed to gather encryption key.

Hi, does anyone know if the Xiaomi Honeywell Bluetooth smoke detectors work with the new native Bluetooth support in HA (presumably via Xiaomi BLE?) Thanks.
(Sorry for hijacking thread but seemed to be related
)

1 Like

yes, it works great for me with the xiaomi BLE integration

2 Likes

Hey, could you explain what you did? HA discovers it (same model as yours), however there is only one entity.

1 Like

Hi Attila,

Can you please send us how could you solve the smoke detector problem?
It is asking for a hexadecimal key.

Köszönöm Attila :grinning:

GitHub - PiotrMachowski/Xiaomi-cloud-tokens-extractor: This tool/script retrieves tokens for all devices connected to Xiaomi cloud and encryption keys for BLE devices. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi @molnaratti HA find only Signal Strength entity.and dont ask bindkey. how to add device?

1 Like

Any way of flashing these with esphome firmware and cutting them from the xiaomi cloud BS?