Xiaomi Smart Home with Zigbee Dongle

For anyone out there trying out the new Zigbee HA support, I’d be really interested to know if the Xiaomi Smart Home devices can be made to work without the gateway?

Looks like they have it working with Smartthings: https://community.smartthings.com/t/xiaomi-zigbee-door-window-sensor-motion-sensor-smart-button-device-type-beta/31948

Needless to say this would open up a nice source of cheap, good quality sensors.

3 Likes

Also the gateway is inexpensive.

For 30$+ you get a radio, light sensor, night light plus the MiHome app which is quite good (I wish HA had many of its functionalities)

Agree nice to have the ring and light sensor…
But the gw phones home/requires internet and also requires Chinese socket or adaptor.
I would def be interested as to whether it’s possible drop the gateway… even if I decided to keep it :wink:

My thoughts exactly, also it’s another thing to provide with backup power if you want to rely on the sensors for security, etc.

Does anyone have more information about to skip de Xiaomi gateway with a ZigBee dongle?

Take a look here:
https://github.com/dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin/issues/57

Hi everyone,

This post is an old one but i juste have the same question, … so in place of create a new one, does anybody have do it ? (using something like the aqara and humidity temperature sensor without using the gateway)

regards,

I use the aqara temperature and humidity sensor with zigbee2mqtt. No aqara gateway.

Is it working good ?
wich zigbee hub do you use ?

Now I use a cc2530 connected to an esp01, but I can confirm it works equally well with a CC2531.

are you on a rbpi ? or on other hardware ?

My home assistant runs on a rbpi.

I’m running HASS in Docker on my Linux server and I can confirm that zigbee2mqtt is working there perfectly. I just installed the zigbee2mqtt docker container. All you need for the CC253x dongle is a USB slot.

You do need to program the dongle with some custom firmware, but that’s not too difficult if you have the programing hardware and follow the instructions.

You can check out my write up, which has links to all the relevant documentation, etc: https://webworxshop.com/zigbee2mqtt-cheap-zigbee-without-a-gateway/

is the esp01 necessary ?
i don’t really understand the hardware, … the cc2530 is the dongle usb zigbee, si why using other stuff ?

The CC2531 is the usb dongle, you can plug it directly in a RbPi (better use an usb extension cable). The CC2530 does not have usb, so you need either a ftdi adapter to plug it into your RbPi, or an esp8266 to connect to it over Wifi.

okey, i see.

and do you know the range of the CC2531, cause actually my aqara gate is in the center of the house, but if use a cc2531 connected to the rpbi, it will be in the garage (in a rac) … not sure it will be good :thinking:

That is exactly the reason it switched from a CC2531 to a CC2530 with esp01. Since I don’t have any zigbee lights that can act as a router. The CC2531 was connected on my RbPi in the back of the house, now I have a CC2530 in the center of the house.

i’ve see some CC2531 with antenna, … maybe range is better.

your esp01 is a wifi stuff ? (I didn’t know anything about electronical component)
Do you know if it is possible to use a “component” used for connecting an cc2530 (or 2531) to an rj45 ?

if your cc253x is not connected directly to you rbpi, is there something special to do for using it with hassio ?

Wifi indeed

See under : using an esp8266

The CC2530 has a better range than the CC2531 with antenna

Just to add, conbee II with deconz is working pretty well with xiaomi sensors and philips hue. I managed to get rid of the xiaomi gateway and philips hue gateway with this setup under hassio.