Xiaomi without Gateway and without china cloud

Which devices do you control with it?

Hue devices, ikea trÄdfri remotes, Xiaomi sensors, osram devices, innr power plugs

Oh pretty cool, and it works with all your devices well?
How many devices (in number) can it handle in your opinion. I have around 15 Hue, 40 Xiaomi, 2 Osram, with the addition I want to buy, I will arrive at around 80-90

yes, this is what I was thinking: I have 1 Hue Hub, and 2 Xiaomi Gateway, I guess hte 2 Xiaomi cooperate, but for sure the Hue is not cooperating with the Xiaomi.

So you do not use the Hue/Xiaomi hub at all, correct?

Yes, deconz+conbee covers most devices out there.

According to the manufacturer the system should handle up to 200 devices.

Thanks for the info.

Did you check mixed mesh really works? I mean a Hue bulb is increasing coverage also to a Xiaomi battery operated sensor?

Haven’t looked at the mesh graph. But it works so I guess so

Where you look at it, there are applications for it?

I run deconz in headless mode. If you run it in desktop mode you can see the routing table

Well I am tempted to make the switch. Anything negative about conbee/deconz?

There are always drawbacks about each solution.

If you want to use Hue devices; Philips doesn’t publish their fw, so you’d need to add them back to the hue bridge to upgrade. But the fw is stable and unless some bad security issue is fixed this shouldn’t be any reason.

Xiaomi and Ikea TrĂ„dfri hasn’t been the best of friends so far. Recent releases of deconz plus new firmware for conbee are meant to mitigate this issue, not 100% yet. Parts are in the Ikea fw on how they handle battery driven devices together with how Xiaomi does its reporting. For the Ikea part, they publish their fw so you should be able to do upgrades of the devices using deconz. I don’t know about Xiaomi though, probably not.

People are having various minor issues, over time it seems. Someone mentioned recently that their database got wiped and needed to redo it. Haven’t had any experience like that myself so don’t know whats at fault. Others are having issues getting the add-on to work on certain hardware configurations.

For my personal setup Im really satisfied with the solution so far and are eagerly awaiting the Ikea blinds coming next year.

Also there are starting to be quite a few using deconz, meaning more people have experience about how to solve issues, should they arise.

Disclaimer: Im the author of the deconz component, Im trying to not be too biased about that when sharing information.

Hi Robban
Quick question on Deconz/conbee
can the extra conbee devices be added as routers to an existing deconz network, to extend and enhance stability.
i have a few pc/devies around the house that could take the usb conbee. so just having them be able to plug into a usb powered socket would be great.

Not with deconz. All mains powered devices will expand the mesh. If you necessarily want some kind of expanded routing from computers you’d need to look at another implementation

MMhh well the idea is to put aside 4 gateways (hue, 2 xiaomi, tradfri) and keep just one. Also like this the mesh should be much stronger.

I don’t think there is any resale value on the hubs only, which I will keep for upgrades once in a while 

1 Like

almost hitting the buy button here, I wonder if we can visualize the mesh network? that would be a deal-maker for me.

btw are you familiar with Fifthplay , and their power plugs (with energy metering)? They are also using Zigbee and I would hope these to be compatible?

Yes you can visualize the mesh if you are using the desktop version. The creator of the deConz docker will be looking into enabling mesh visualization from the container as well.

I do not know about that specific device. But open an issue with the deConz rest api github and they will answer

Before I but last piece of advice. How do you install all the devices, you need to setup the conbee/deconz AND disconnect the Huie/Xiaomi Gateway, or can they stay both?

I want to know in order to have the minimum downtime possible: ideally keep as it is, install conbee/deconz and when all works also with deconz, disconnect the original gateways

So first step is to get deconz up and running and pair it with HASS.

After that you can move one light at a time. I named my light the same as in hue so it had the same entity id and all. Though this was before certain extra functions in HASS so might differ today.

Best procedure for hue: make sure.light is latest fw, remove it from hue, reset it with a dimmer switch by pressing on+off for 10 seconds next to the light. Then power cycle light and then add it to Deconz through the gui

Ok got it for the Hue. For Xiaomi reset them and pair them with Conbee?

I have only ever added new Xiaomi sensors to conbee as I don’t have their gateway. But probably a similar approach