Xiaomi without hub?

Hello. I am getting into xiaomi component, can’t understand if I can use zigbee stick and controll devices, or I have to buy xiaomi hub first? And how is it to work with xiaomi? Is it harder than z-wave?

You can get away of buy the hub, just check this project:

Also check the thread:

2 Likes

Hey Argo,

I just got a bunch of Xiaomi sensors, I dont want to send my info to china, what did you end up doing?

Not OP but I’m using zigbee2mqtt with a button and a motion sensor. It’s extremely reliable (I don’t think I’ve ever had problems with the connection between the devices and the gateway). It’s cheap too. I would definitely recommend it.

Hi. Right now I am still on hub. Yesterday I got needed devices for zigbee2mqtt from aliexpress, but I got issue with settings, so can not say anything meanful for you.
But I am sure, others can

I definitely agree with @TheAK and use Zigbee2MQTT also but remember there is a limit on how many devices work with one Zigbee2MQTT usb stick and that limit is smaller than a Zigbee HUB limit.

Yeah, from what I recall the limit is 15 devices. Can be increased by using extenders (most mains-powered devices e.g. light switches or smart plugs).