Xiaomi zigbee smart plug

Hi,

I have a Xiaomi zibgee smart plug, that cannot be found by HA. (all remaining sensors are working).

switch:

• platform: xiaomi
    devices:
    192.168.1.129:
    name: Plug

Any ideas of how I should configure to be discovered?

Tks!

Why does it have an ip address?
Do you have a zigbee controller?
Are the other sensors zigbee or z-wave?
Does Xiaomi use an open Zigbee protocol or a closed protocol like Digi

Tks for the response.

I only have Xiaomi gateway that already controls this socket and all appliances have an IP. And I donā€™t have a zibgee controller.

I know itā€™s zigbee, but I think itā€™s not open.
This is the device: http://www.gearbest.com/living-appliances/pp_344666.html

This is the Xiaomi supported devices:

And I think that the device I have should fit here: ā€œPlug aka Socket (ZigBee version, reports power consumed, power load, state and if device in use)ā€

But itā€™s strange because it is not being detected. I also have the yeelight and these are detected without any problems.

Any idea??

Tks!

Ok forgive me if Iā€™m off base (Iā€™m new to this too) but you are trying to control a Zigbee device directly from HA instead of the Zigbee gateway that is required.

The socket is a device, there is only Zigbee communication to this device.

The gateway required to control multiple devices will be the bridge between the device and HA.

Your link is for gateways.

xiaomi:
  gateways:
   - mac:
     key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you have a gateway? Are your other devices Zigbee.

Yeelight seems to be wifi.

Correct! I indeed have this xiaomi gateway defined. If a bunch of sensors connected in listed in HA.

Since xiaomi has the ability to control this device I was hoping to have HA control also this device /using xiaomi).

And it seems to be on the supported list.

For instance, my aqara wall switch are working in HA without any problem and they are zigbee.

Tks!

Ok, little trouble shooting

Can you see the questioned switch within the Xiamio gateway?
If yes then can you see it within HA <> list of states? Vera has its name first in attributes so I know what is associated with that gateway, assuming yours is the same as I do not have one.

Check all devices with the Xiamio attributes and ensure they are being used in HA the entity is what is needed. Then to see it on a page you just use the entity, no need to do what you did in original post.

ex:
entity:
light.in_wall_dimmer_30

attribute:

Vera Device Id: 30
friendly_name: In Wall Dimmer
supported_features: 1

To clarify it: There is a ā€œwifi versionā€ and a ā€œzigbeeā€ version. The zigbee version works fine with the xiaomi component, because itā€™s zigbee and paired like any other device. The wifi version needs another protocol and must be integrated separately into home assistant. f.e. by the xiaomiplug custom component (https://github.com/syssi/xiaomiplug).There is no official support of the wifi plug so far.

Furthermore: The wifi version cannot measure power consumption / load / is used. The zigbee version reports this values. If you want to buy one of these devices: Take the zigbee one.

Hi syssi,

Thank you for the help! I bough the zigbee according gearbest but i never had the measuring working, and indeed it connects using wifi. But it was a while ago and I cannot return it.

Iā€™ve installed your module, and already set the configuration. Everything seems to be OK, however my main problem is that i cannot find the token. Iā€™ve read multiple posts where they say that the token can be extracted with ā€œmiio --discoverā€ however this command runs in one second and gives me not output. Iā€™m in the same subnet as the plug. Any alternative to get this ID? (already explored the xiaomi app, but no luck either getting de 32 chars token).

Thank you!

Do you own a rooted android device and are you familiar with adb? There is a simple way to extract the token from the sqlite database of the mi home app. I can explain it if you like.

Tks for the quick response! Coincidence because I was already doing this.

I got the token from the sqlite file, and worked on the first execution:

Tks for the support and the excellent work!

I check my gearbest purchase order and after all i bought the wireless version (half of the price) because the measuring was not important for that appliance. Know i regret a bit, however thanks to you I can have the included in the platform!

Tks!

1 Like

Perfect! I can recommend the zigbee version. The wifi plug is less responsive and needs to be polled.

Two references for people with the same problem (extract the token from sqlite):

me@laptop:~ $ ./adb connect 192.168.xx.yy
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
connected to 192.168.xx.yy:5555
me@laptop:~ $ ./adb shell
rpi3:/ $ su
rpi3:/data/data # cd com.xiaomi.smarthome/databases/
rpi3:/data/data/com.xiaomi.smarthome/databases # sqlite3
SQLite version 3.9.2 2015-11-02 18:31:45
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
Connected to a transient in-memory database.
Use ".open FILENAME" to reopen on a persistent database.
sqlite> .open miio2.db
sqlite> .tables
android_metadata  devicerecord
sqlite> select * from devicerecord;

Here you get all the settings along with the token.

sqlite> .quit
rpi3:/data/data/com.xiaomi.smarthome/databases # exit
rpi3:/ $ exit
me@laptop:~ $

There is a column called ā€œtokenā€. A token looks like this: b051cd82786f85996283d82ccf9d27bd2db

What is your config for the socket? Iā€™m confused, because the zigbee version hasnā€™t IP address, I have the token but I donā€™t know how to configure it with the gateway. Thanks.

UPDATE:
I found the right conf:

switch:

• platform: xiaomi_aqara
    name: Socket1
    host: !secret xiaomi_socket_host (Xiaomi Gateway IP)
    key: !secret xiaomi_socket_key (Xiaomi Socket token)

A token isnā€™t needed for the xiaomi gateway & zigbee sub-devices.

So, If you have two sockets connected, how does hass know each one?

The xiaomi zigbee plugs are enumerated by an unique hardware id.

Iā€™m trying to access the in_use and load_power attributes as triggers for an automation - I want to send a notification if power is on (ie the socket hasnā€™t been unplugged or turned off at the switch), but the `load_powerā€™ is under some threshold (say 20). Iā€™ve been told that to do this I need to setup 2 template sensors to access these attributes and have code in my configuration.yaml as follows:

sensors:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      mydevice_power:
        value_template: '{{ states.switch.plug_158d0001xxxxxx.load_power|int }}'
    sensors:
      mydevice_inuse:
        value_template: '{{ states.switch.plug_158d0001xxxxxx.in_use|default(0) }}'

Iā€™ve played around with various formulations and must admit I canā€™t fully understand the template after the pipe ā€˜|ā€™, except it determines the format of what is returned. The sensors show up at the top of my home page, but donā€™t show values. They are available via the ā€˜Statesā€™ page within HA, so the switches are working and sending values to HA, I just canā€™t figure out how to access them.

Any pointers appreciated.

Hello.

Try the following instead:

sensors:
    sensors:
      mydevice_power:
        value_template: '{{ states.switch.plug_158d0001xxxxxx.attributes.load_power|int }}'
    sensors:
      mydevice_inuse:
        value_template: '{{ states.switch.plug_158d0001xxxxxx.attributes.in_use|default(0) }}'

That should do the trick.

3 Likes

Thanks. That does the job perfectly!

Hi @syssi, Iā€™ve been using the Xiaomi gateway for a month or two and generally it works fine.

Iā€™m running a few movement sensors etc off it and it was pretty much plug and play.

My only issue is with the Plug aka Socket (Zigbee version). When I try to turn it on/off from Homeassistant, it doesnā€™t work.

Basically, I just turn the switch on/ff via the interface, and the switch moves and after a few seconds reverts back to the original position.
If I use the MiHome app to turn on/off the switch, I see the switch mode within HA changes accordingly. I also get to see the power utilisation etc as it should. See below.

Hereā€™s the log;

2017-10-28 06:05:41 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 241, in _step
    result = coro.throw(exc)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/core.py", line 1026, in _event_to_service_call
    yield from service_handler.func(service_call)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/switch/__init__.py", line 117, in async_handle_switch_service
    yield from switch.async_turn_off()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 380, in __iter__
    yield self  # This tells Task to wait for completion.
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 304, in _wakeup
    future.result()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/futures.py", line 293, in result
    raise self._exception
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 55, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/switch/xiaomi_aqara.py", line 106, in turn_off
    if self._write_to_hub(self._sid, **{self._data_key: 'off'}):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/PyXiaomiGateway/__init__.py", line 290, in write_to_hub
    data['key'] = self._get_key()
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/PyXiaomiGateway/__init__.py", line 320, in _get_key
    encryptor = AES.new(self.key.encode(), AES.MODE_CBC, IV=init_vector)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/Crypto/Cipher/AES.py", line 95, in new
    return AESCipher(key, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/Crypto/Cipher/AES.py", line 59, in __init__
    blockalgo.BlockAlgo.__init__(self, _AES, key, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.5/site-packages/Crypto/Cipher/blockalgo.py", line 141, in __init__
    self._cipher = factory.new(key, *args, **kwargs)
ValueError: Key cannot be the null string 

Any thoughts?

Thx
JP