YA Migration from Pi to PC - venv NO DOCKER!

Looking for a bit of guidance here because all the other threads relating to migrations focus on HA installs dissimilar to mine.

Currently I have HA on a Rpi3 running raspbian installed in a venv from these instructions https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/virtualenv/. I’m looking to migrate this installation to a repurposed intel laptop running Ubuntu Server 18.04. I don’t use Docker and don’t intend to - I certainly don’t want Docker for HA because I have too many hardware devices I want it to have direct access too and also I like to tinker with bits in HA.

So my question is this: how can I move my install which currently resides here /srv/homeassistant with config files in /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant to the new laptop? I have read some guides which suggest just installing HA again and copying across config files but what if you’ve tweak in custom components and tweaked things inside the /srv/homeassistant folder (specifically I have changed the odd thing in openzwave) - although I have to admit I haven’t checked if these things survived the update I did to HA.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help/advice!

I don’t think copying the virtual environment across will work - python compiles .pyc files into it, which obviously wouldn’t be valid on another architecture. You could try and exclude or overwrite them, but there may be something else you need to do, so I think it would be quicker just to create a new venv on the laptop and make your modifications again.

Similarly for your custom components.

The config files should be a straightforward copy though.

Ok thank you thats clear and useful. Will do install and make my tweaks on new machine.

Thanks.

1 Like

I have recently installed in a venv on Ubuntu 18.04 and used this howto:

Runs well, although I did not have your tweaks. The config files (ie the yaml files etc) were just copied from a backup.