Yale Assure 2 BlueTooth lock getting geofenced by Yale?! Is wifi / Zwave an alternative?

Short story and question:
I believe I am getting geofenced by Yale/August for my Bluetooth Assure 2 Touch locks as I am not in USA/Canada. Can someone please confirm that z-wave (and maybe wifi) does not require Yale or August interface asking for email / phone credentials like BT does?

Long story:
Recently bought 8 different Yale locks of which 2 are Yale Assure 2 Touch locks, only to find out that some wiseguy at Yale has decided you cannot use these locks outside USA/Canada. To make this even more infuriating, they were sold on regional non-US Amazon. I installed without having a clue. Not even the regional Yale is aware of this!

Installation fails in the app and after spending over 2 hours in support I am told that since Assa Abloy (whom I have some respect for) sold Yale, they will not release those locks to the rest of the world. And since I am not in US, I cannot install the locks which require an Android/IOS app!

Since the locks were already installed and yes, to some point there is a bit of scratches and sawdust on them, I felt Amazon wouldn’t have them back. So instead:

• I used my trustworthy VPN to place myself in Dallas.
  • I used a GPS location changer in android developer mode and temporary moved myself half-across the world to Dallas
  • paid 10 dollars for virtual SMS in the great state of Texas to receive the verification SMS which is obligatory!!!

…And I registered the devices in Yale Access.
I can open and close using Yale’s app and everything is swell.

Now it gets tricky.
HA picks up the locks immediately (running an NUC Intel I3 - Pure HA OS and integrated MOBO Bluetooth in Active mode).
However, it requires an August interface and when I install it, the Yale BT keys binds without me having to go through any hoops and I thought, perfect!

I set up a nice button in HA and I can lock / unlock the devices. I am so happy I dance a little jig by myself for being so smart and outwitting the punk at Yale who decided they can lock you out through their app.

Then I disable VPN.
And now, my devices refuse to connect. They are pretty much dead in HA. I have deleted them and the August app, I have reinstalled them. They are dead. Now, not even VPN can wake them up.

So, is August interface geofencing me out for not being in US/Canada? Unlike the Yale app, August won’t even install in Android unless I use VPN and a US based virtual SMS number.

Does z-wave remove all this trouble? Wifi version of the lock? I am unsure as it may still require the app in the background? I just want to get away from anything with Yale or August.

I love their locks, but scr*w Yale’s new management for playing God by limiting hardware through software. That is despicable.

I am frankly considering sending the other locks back. What kind of company does this thing? Don’t they want my money? How can they regulate the market through an app???

TL;DR: You bought payed for locks from yale but you don’t own them

Yes… Indeed Indeeed. Hence two versions of the background.
But the question remains, do I own it if it is a zwave version if a pay/buy it?