Yale Assure Lock 2 Bluetooth disconnected and won't come back after turning off Auto-Unlock in app

I have been searching the forums but I haven’t been able to find my situation.

I recently installed a Yale Assure Lock 2 (Bluetooth only). After working with it for a few days I turned off Auto-Unlock on my phone. A few hours later Home Assistant reported that it couldn’t connect to the door lock. I tried turning Auto-Unlock back on and this did not allow Home Assistant to see the lock. I’m assuming the issue is with the lock no longer broadcasting some Bluetooth signal but I didn’t see the use of the Auto-Unlock as a requirement for HA use.

I’m running HA on a raspberry Pi 4 with an external Bluetooth adapter from the High Performance Bluetooth adapters list. I’m not currently running the August integration because I have the Offline Key and Slot, already.

My phone has no issues connecting to the lock and opening / closing the lock.

I made no change to the HA integration or settings.

Has anyone else struggled with this lock? Has anyone found a trick to bring it back? I want to be able to use HA as the main control for this lock.

Thanks in advance!

Below is an except from the logs.

`2023-12-18 21:12:38.653 ERROR (MainThread) [yalexs_ble.push] XXXXXXX (XXXXXXX): Disconnected while updating
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/session.py", line 269, in execute
    return await self._write(command, command_name)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/session.py", line 137, in _write
    return await self._locked_write(command, command_name)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/session.py", line 192, in _locked_write
    await self.client.write_gatt_char(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/bleak/__init__.py", line 776, in write_gatt_char
    await self._backend.write_gatt_char(characteristic, data, response)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/bleak/backends/bluezdbus/client.py", line 834, in write_gatt_char
    reply = await self._bus.call(
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/dbus_fast/aio/message_bus.py", line 399, in call
    await future
asyncio.exceptions.CancelledError: Interrupted by interrupt context manager

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/push.py", line 1007, in _execute_deferred_update
    await self._update()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/push.py", line 108, in _async_wrap_operation_lock
    return await func(self, *args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/push.py", line 152, in _async_wrap_retry_bluetooth_connection_error
    return await func(self, *args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/push.py", line 694, in _update
    lock = await self._ensure_connected()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/push.py", line 558, in _ensure_connected
    await self._client.connect()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/lock.py", line 186, in connect
    await self._setup_session()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/lock.py", line 244, in _setup_session
    response = await self.secure_session.execute(
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/yalexs_ble/session.py", line 266, in execute
    async with interrupt(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/async_interrupt/__init__.py", line 91, in __aexit__
    raise self._exception(self._message) from exc_val
yalexs_ble.session.DisconnectedError: XXXXXXX (XXXXXXX): Disconnected

Tonight the lock started communicating with Home Assistant again shortly after I installed the August Integration. The August integration is mentioned in the instructions to get the Offline Key and Slot number for the lock; which I already had from a previous installation.

I had assumed that getting the Offline Key and Slot number was the only reason I needed the August App.

Based on my experience, with the Auto-Unlock active on my phone, the August Integration was not required. But if Auto-Lock is not active on your phone then you need the August integration running.

I hope this helps someone in the future.