Yale Linus Smart Lock ASL-06

Hello everyone,
1- You can use august integration without facing any problem by using your yale access app info.
2- I guess, its a redesigned exact replica of august v3. Because everything is looking similar (eg; keypad, wifi bridge, app) August is not sold in my country but yale is. it looks like a strategic partnership between yale and august.
3- You can use lock, unlock, open actions. Open is the action when the door is not locked but the latch needs to be turned. Unlock action unlocks the door and after that opens the door. so if you unlock the door you dont need to use open action again. Simple as it is.
4- It doesnt have a built in wifi. But it is homekit ble supported. There is a tricky point here so read well here please. If you have a homekit hub like homepod, apple tv, ipad etc you will be able to use the lock from everywhere. Lock will be added to the hub after the initial homekit integration from your phone. So there will be a connection between the lock and hub. So this is a nice feature and you can integrate your lock to home assistant by using homekit scripts. But if you dont have a homekit hub or if your hub is not close enough (this was the problem i had) you will need to buy wifi bridge.
5- If you have a wifi bridge you can use your lock from everywhere. Please check my screen shots.
6- There is a tricky stuff when you want to use homekit and wifi bridge together. Native homekit integration is bluetooth based. So, you will not able to use homekit remotely via wifi bridge. Wifi bridge designed for remote app usage. So if you like to use homekit remotely, remove the native homekit integration from yale access app, setup the august integration on home assistant and use home assistantā€™s homekit integration to export lock on your homekit. You will be able to use your lock from your homekit in this way.
This is a great product and definitely worth the money you pay.
Good luck!

Hi Eray,

When using Linus and the wifi-bridge, will Home Assistant talk directly to the wifi-bridge and then with the lock or will HA use Yale / August cloud service?

Hello DariBer,
Homeassistant integration going to use the cloud service sadly. Yale/august cloud will connect to lock device via wifi bridge. And thats why you will need a internet connection always and you will need to wait 5 seconds after starting open action from your home assistant. it takes a bit time because of cloud sadly. but still it worths i believe.

Hello @Eray,

i have also the Yale Linus and use ist without WIFI Bridge with Homkit Controller. But iā€™m not able to lock/unlock from Homeassistant because of an autorisation error?

How did you handle it?

thanks

philipp

Hi @philippk75, i solved it by buying the wifi bridge. So if you want to use your homekit hub as a bridge, you need to use homekit scripts and you should run that script via home assistant. this is the way of doing this i think but i didnt use this method and im not able to explain it at this point. but basically it should be like this; create a script to open the lock and then find a way to run it via hassio (homekit addon or something else, not sure but there should be a way that you can find on forum i believe) im not sure could you get the status of lock by using the homekit scripts but you should be able to lock/unlock by using this method at least.

1 Like

Hello @Eray ,

can you open the lock with Homeassistant so that the door does not pops out?

I have a knob on the outside and when I open the door, the door latch is opened and the door pops open, there is also a position where the door latch is out.

Greetings Philipp

Hi @philippk75
Probably, we are not able to unlock the door while keeping it closed. (without that last latch position) This looks like an a issue related with yale/august. So if you unlock, it will open the door also. But interestingly there is a open command for unlocked and closed doors too. So if its locked you can unlock and open simultaneously and if its unlocked you can open or lock it. those are the only available commands i guess.

whats the difference lock and open?

thanks

if the door is not locked but closed it can be opened via the door handle.

open command turns the last part of the latch for a few seconds and at that time you can open the door by turning the door handle for closed but unlocked doors. or your door can open automatically using its own weight when the last latch is turned, like mine.

and lock command; locks it if door is closed but not locked yet.

also as i said previously, unlock command firstly unlocks it but then opens it. so unlock is not only unlocks it also opens too by turning the last part of the latch for a few seconds

1 Like

Hello @Eray,

thanks for the explanation

with open unlocks my door and also activates the latch, so that the door opens by weight.

But what I would like to have would be the following: since I always lock the door in the evening. I would like to have it open in the morning at 7:00, but without the door opening by weight, this is not possible with open, is it?

Thanks

Philipp

I wanted that too. But yale does not giving that option to us sadly. So its not possible yet.

However, if you have a 3-turn lock like mine, turn it only once when installing in the yale app where it asks you to turn the lock all the way. so once the lock action is taken, the door will only be locked 1 turn. Doing so will at least make it easier to open the door. This is exactly how I use it at home.

1 Like

hello,

itā€˜s now possible to integrate the yale linus wirthout the wifi gateway?

best regards

Is there already a possibility to integrate the Yale Linus into the Home Assistant without a bridge?

Apparently the lock gets recognized by my installation, seems like it should be supported. Unfortunately i havenā€™t managed to get the key and slot from the app yet.
Iā€™m guessing someone with the bridge could try to extract them from the cloud integration and see if they work locally or youā€™re welcome to try and extract them from the app yourself, i only tried iOS, unsuccessfully.

After a bit of trying to extract the key from the app with no success i tried the August integration and it extracted the keys automatically from my account.
The lock is recognized and it doesnā€™t ask for the key anymore.
Now iā€™m facing this issue:

I tried the new yale bluetooth integration. and it works. i didnt get any key etc. august integration was already working while i installed the new integration. i tried to lock and unlock with new integration. status update comes 30s later but still works well. im still using the bridge integration by the way but i might change it later im not sure yet. but there is a problem if you use the bridge integration and yale bluetooth integration at the same time. probably there should be only one active bluetooth connections at the same time, thats why.

With the latest update (2022.9.5) the bluetooth integration works with no issues. After the reboot it recognized the lock and could install the integration immediately.
The commands are still a bit slow, but itā€™s probably due to the distance.

Sorry to highjack this threat, but Iā€™m still not entirely sure what to make of all the information here.

If I buy this Yale Linus smart lock and nothing else (no keypad, no WiFi bridge), will I be able to control it in Home Assistant (2022.10.1) directly via bluetooth? So it works completely offline?!

If yes, does it support lock, unlock and open? Does it report a changed state then I lock/unlock it manually (I mean when I turn the integratet ā€œknobā€ - not when I unlock it from the outside with a key, which it obviously canā€™t see)?
Personally, I donā€™t necessarily need the door sensor - but does it report the state accurately and quick?

Will I still be able to control it via the app (just as a last failsafe - letā€™s say if thereā€™s a power outage, so I can still unlock it with my phone when HA is down)

Ok, to answer a couple of my own questions:

Yes

I think so - I use the August integration to get the required key to pair the lock - but I donā€™t think it does more than that

no - it only does the thing you initially configured it to do in the app. So if you told it to unlock, then it only supports unlock - if you told it to open, it only supports open. itā€™s a bummer, but okayā€¦

yes!

yes

yes and no - and this leads me into the biggest issue ā€¦ speed

The Yale Access Bluetooth integration is MIND-NUMBINGLY slowā€¦ it takes between 5 and 30 seconds to report state changes of the lock, or to control the lock, and the door sensor state only gets updated sporadically.

I doubt itā€™s the BT connection, because the Pi sits right next to the lock. Also, when using the Homekit integraition, state changes (except for the door-sensor, which is not supported) get reportet instantly - however, I canā€™t control the lock via the Homekit integration, because thereā€™s an error saying, ā€œPDU status was not success: Insuficient authorization (3)ā€ ā€¦ no idea what that means and I only found one other threat where this error was mentioned - with no solution.

Anyone use the Yale Linus via the Homekit integration sucessfully?! what did you do?
Is it normal that the Yale Access Bluetooth integration is so incredibly slow and unreliable?

I really like the lock - itā€™s built exceptionally well, itā€™s super silent, I can lock it manually from the inside - hardware-wise itā€™s all Iā€™m looking for ā€¦ however, the integration into Home Assistant turns out to be not very satisfactory :confused:

Very hard difficulties to get this particular Yale ASL-06 integrated (in fact, to get that damned offline key), and now that it works, I can only say the same as @Farnsworth : speed is a big issue.

And without WIFI bridge, it seems the battery level isnā€™t readable, which is another serious issue, considering the importance of battery life for a device supposed to let you enter your home.

So now Iā€™m considering buying the WIFI brigde (do I have any other choiceā€¦ ?), with no garanty it will work better. This would make that lock far too much expensive.

Soā€¦ in itself, thatā€™s a pretty solid device, but with all those issues, be careful before to buy it.