Operating System 10.2
Frontend 20230503.3 - latest
Z-Wave JS 0.1.84
Z-Wave JS UI 1.13.4

Background:

• HA is running on a Raspberry Pi 4 - no docker
  • I have 7 Yale Assure locks with Z-Wave modules
  • All 7 devices were added previously using core Z-WaveJS
  • I’ve been using Keymaster, but it’s being flakey and not always updating user codes. Plus it adds so many entities that I’d like to move away from it.
  • I’m switching to Z-WaveJS UI since others report it is more reliable for setting user codes

I’ve followed the Z-WaveJS UI migration instructions. Successfully connected via Websocket server. The existing devices displayed in HA dashboards are now showing the same information as shown in the ZWaveJS-UI interface.

All seven devices have completed interviewing and are listed in the ZWaveJS UI. However, only 6 of them are showing manufacturer, model, and battery level. One of the locks doesn’t seem to have interviewed correctly. This (“bad”) lock still appears to be connected and shows lock-related settings.

However, the “bad” lock doesn’t show battery level, manufacturer, and model. Nor does it show the User Codes v1 section. I absolutely need to be able to set user codes for this lock. I don’t think the lock is actually “bad”, as it still appears to connect to it and the physical lock functions correctly for users.

I’ve tried to Re-Interview, Refresh Values, and Heal Node. Nothing seems to change this.

How do I solve this problem? Is there a way to remove and re-add the device without changing the Device ID? I don’t want to mess up my existing HA entities, as I have Keymaster installed which has created tons of entities. Although my goal with this migration is to move away from Keymaster.

Also note that I don’t have easy physical access to the lock in question for resetting it, etc. I have an existing Airbnb guest in the unit for the next 3 months. I’d prefer to not disturb them.

In the Z-WaveJSUI interface you can replace a failed node with a new one to keep the same node id. The only way to replace a failed node is to take the node offline by factory resetting it.

Also have you tried reinterviewing and checking. The box that says reset security keys?

Yes, I did try checking the box to reset security keys. And I tried without checking it.

Thanks for the details about replacing a failed node. I was worried I’d need physical access, and you helped confirm I would need to factory reset it.

If you have a backup of the Z-Wave JS add-on, you can copy your driver cache files over to the new install, as outlined in this guide. Restoring the cache files avoids re-interviewing, assuming the backup is up-to-date.

Errors during interviews could indicate a network health problem. Maybe something changed from the time you added the node until now. There’s a lot of traffic that occurs during interviews, which means a higher chance of failure. Maybe restoring the cache would be enough to back to the previous state.

Aside from that, you’ll have to do some troubleshooting: