Yale Zwave locks

One more thing: do you guys suggest any lock that uses fingerprint?
I would REALLY like one with a key pad for pin, fingerprint and external key.

I liked this one: https://www.yale.co.in/en/yale/yale_co_in/products2/digital-products/digital-door-locks/ymf40-mortise-lock-biometric-pin-code-mechanical-key-remote-control-optionalymf40-mortise-lock-biometric-pin-code-mechanical-key-remote-control-optional1/
But this is India’s Yale website. I just couldnt find any site in the US that has that one for sale. =/

I have mine paired in Vera as well and there are sensors from Vera in HA. I have this in my lovelace config to display the lock/unlock status and battery level. Can also unlock or lock from HA.

- entities:
      - lock.side_door_lock_271
      - sensor.side_door_lock_bat
    title: Door Locks
    type: entities

Hi, yep that’s all fine, the issue is that there’s a fair bit more data available that isn’t exposed by Vera currently.

I just signed up because I wanted to share my experience with my Yale YRD446/Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5/Home Assistant/unRAID.

I’m still new to Home Assistant and automation, so cut me a little a little slack if some of these things should have been obvious.

Backstory: I first attempted pairing the lock with the Z-Stick using the supplied instructions. I didn’t realize how much frustration this would cause. After pairing the lock and Z-Stick, I added the Z-Stick to the docker config. The lock immediately showed up, but I had no control of the lock functionality via Home Assistant. After doing some research, I came to understand that the device needed to be added securely from within HA, openHAB2, or Domoticz - I believe it doesn’t matter as they all use open z-wave on the back end. However, no manner of removing and adding securely/un-securely or blowing away my HA instance and starting from scratch would solve the problem.

What solved the issue for me was to remove the pairing then go back even further and complete a factory reset of the Yale door lock. After the reset, I paired the devices securely through the Home Assistant UI and magically everything was functional.

I’ve read a few posts now that many Z-Wave devices must be factory reset in order to clear whatever key was provided to them prior to being able to pair with a new key. If you run into functionality issues even when the device appears to pair, I’d give a factory reset a shot. That and keep a copy of the key somewhere safe if you have to start from scratch in the future.

1 Like

@Juggler. I realized this a two year old post from you, but did you solve this? My Yale lock is showing as Vision Security Unknown: type=0002, id=0000 and I can’t figure out how to solve this.

I want to send a command to my Yale lock to set the auto relock time to something shorter. In the past, using other home automation products, I would send a simple Z-Wave command along the lines of node, send mode, command class, etc. that would look something like this:

N4,SS,112,4,3,1,90

But I can’t figure how to do this with Home Assistant and my Yale lock, and the HA docs are lacking a lot of detail around Z-Wave commands. Has anyone done something similar (even if it’s not with a Yale lock) and have any pointers?

I’m using the built-in ZWave integration (old, not the new OZW) and you just go to Z-Wave Configuration, pick the node, then the appropriate setting from the drop-down and type it.

Do note, you need to send VALID lines to the lock, I learned the hard way. I had to hunt for the correct “System Integrator Guide” from Yale - in my case https://us.yalehome.com/Yale/Yale%20US/Real%20Living/home%20control/Compatible%20Z-Wave%20Systems/Yale%20Real%20Living%20ZWave%20Plus%20System%20Integrators%20Guide%20YRL%20deadbolts.pdf
Bummer, because I wanted to make it lock down for like 255 seconds but the max supported is 180. Putting in invalid numbers just did nothing and left me wondering why it wasn’t working.

I have 3 Zwave yale locks (yrd110) and none of them seem to accurately expose the correct battery level. The locks start chiming that they have low battery level yet the entity shows 40%+ remaining. Has anyone seen anything similar? Is there a fix?

With zwave and ozw the battery level isn’t updated except on startup.

Appreciate the update. Although that really doesn’t explain the inconsistency…When I reboot my HA server, the levels still show 40%+ life remaining, yet the lock is chiming low level.

Do we know what they consider to be “low”?

I know there are 3 different “low” levels it can report (but have not experienced them yet) “low”, “critically low”, and “too low to operate” according to the Z-Wave documentation on the lock.

I could see them considering 40% charge “low” for something critical like a lock.

Most people I know use rechargeable and just top them up regularly. When mine run down, I will probably do the same.

Is there a way to connect Yale linus lock to HA directly? Normally the yale linus connects to phone via bluetooth or online via a wifi gateway.

Probably need to start a new thread for your question, I don’t know of any locks that use WiFi as its such a high power drain for a battery device you’d be replacing batteries all the time, and Bluetooth is going to be extremely short range, you wouldn’t be able to easily put the adapter in range of both a front and back/side door at the same time.

Everyone I know has gone with Z-Wave or Zigbee because of this (usually Z-Wave because it has better certification and compatibility)