Year of the Voice - Chapter 1: Assist

Can someone explain this to me please

I believe that for the moment you have to press the button. The whole thing is in it’s infancy, so I think patience is the order of the day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t understant how can i make my own setences. I made a file on /config/custom_sentences/el/media.yaml and then i wrote:

# Example config/custom_sentences/el/media.yaml
language: "el"
intents:
  SetVolume:
    data:
      - sentences:
          - "(set|change) {name} volume to {volume} [percent]"
        requires_context:
          domain: "media_player.spotify_mario_hadjisavvas"
lists:
  volume:
    range:
      to: 100

But not working at all…
I want to built it on Greek. I’m using Assist on Greek on built in setences but I don’t know how can I make my own.

I want to make not only actions but conversation as well ex. “How are you”, “Tell me a joke” etc. and I want aswer with text that i wrote and the ability to play an mp3 with pre-recorded awnsers on spesific media players.

I’m trying to find a Youtube Tutorial but nobody upload any video with Assist configuration yet…
Any ideas?

domain: "media_player"
Use device name or alias to call. This is a universal option.

Or you can specify a hard binding to one device. You need to make sure there are no duplicates.

- "(set|change) [add any names. It's optional] volume to {volume} [percent]"
    slots:
      name: "Specify the name of the media player"

Really cool
and it works for the most part, still have to apply a lot of aliases.

One question, I use “Hey Siri assist” but Siri tells me “done”, even if the action fails.
Is there a way to let Siri know if an action has failed or not?

Hi, by the way, do you know if it is possible to add aliases to entities, but with yaml file? I don’t have that many entities but going one by one and adding aliases to them in GUI is pretty tedious. Is there any way to manage aliases in the yaml file? I know this customize section in configuration.yaml where I can change friendly_name, entity picture, and some other stuff, but I don’t see aliases there, and trying to add them there doesn’t work.

EDIT: SOLVED, see below
Hi, I am trying to add things to my shopping list using the existing service
However, after asking the first senstence (via keyboard), it only comes back with “Sorry, I couldn’t understand that” regardless of what I type in
This is what I have in /config/custom_sentences/en/shopping_list.yaml

language: "en"
intents:
  ShoppingListAdd:
    data:
      - sentences:
        - "Add {shop_item} to shopping list"

lists:
  shop_item:
    values:
      - "egg"
      - "wine"

intent_script:  
  ShoppingListAdd:
    action:
      service: "shopping_list.add_item"
      data:
        name: "{{shop_item}}"
    speech:
      text: "{{shop_item}} added to shopping list"  

Does it still require ‘conversation:’ in configuration.yaml?

EDIT: answering my own issue… my instance was on en_GB and this apparently is not “en”
Working now after I switched to “English”

Is there any way to activate Assist with a button action? I don’t have the header in my theme and would love to be able to have a custom button open up an Assist popup, but guessing this isn’t possible yet?

yes use any card and modify the tap action to navigate to something like /lovelace/home?conversation=1 and replace home with the current dashboard in view

Amazing, thank you!!!

Is there a way to pass on a word/string to the intent_script?
example : when asking to add to shoping list: "Add xyz to shopping list’
Can I programmatically take xyz, assuming it is always in the same location in the sentence, and pass it to the intent_script?

I had a fun time talking to my HA setup:

I must be doing something wrong?

What version are you on?

Curious why a DIY simple text context matching was used than maybe an existing such as GitHub - flairNLP/flair: A very simple framework for state-of-the-art Natural Language Processing (NLP).

Seems a great idea to do inference based control but looking through, as thought wonder what they are using for NLP to have a look at repo and curious why DiY the NLP bit?

@synesthesiam 's code is hardly a recent invention. I imagine he is building on his previous work.

Try to use the exact (!) sentences from the examples, then at least you know it is working, the question mark brings you to the doc and there you find some examples. I had issues when mine was on en-GB, switched to en and back and now it works (donot know how)

Am I right that this still use external speech engine, meaning internet access?

Its likely to have the research and resources that a current SotA product such as Developed by [Humboldt University of Berlin](https://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/en/forschung-en/gebiete/ml-en/) and friends as I posted.
As that is my point and why I am curious as with just @synesthesiam and a few others why develop when existing already has more resources? As looking at the code it seems not much more than a basic word stremmer than some of the latest and greatest that is being made with NLP.
Code isn’t a recent invention but from chatGPT, Whisper to NLP there are coders and repo’s with resources that are out of our league.
Just looks like the use of some very old techniques even if new code, I expected some sort of NLP framework, not homegrown is all I am saying and only saying because I was curious to what NLP you might be using as currently there are some very interesting inventions.
Flair is just one getting a lot of Huggingface traffic haven’t used it or have any self interest.

1 Like

Latest, 2023.3.1

Temperature intents aren’t implemented yet in HA. You can ask “what is the X” where X is the name of a sensor, though.