Yeelight and Cast devices no longer discovered as of 29/10/2019 Google WiFi

Hello all. I had quite the surprise last night when several of my devices stopped working. I haven’t changed anything for quite some time so it was a bit of a shock to me.

I was having issues with devices connected to one of my 2 xiaomi hubs, most of my Yeelight devices and some of my Google Home devices. All of these devices work perfectly in their respective apps but non were showing in home assistant. For the Xiaomi Hub I rebooted that and the Google WiFi it was connected to. That seemed to resolve that problem but power cycling the other devices did nothing. At this point it’s got me a bit stumped because 1 of 4 yeelight devices still work in HA and 4 of my 8 cast devices still work in HA.

Today while trying to troubleshoot I noticed that Google WiFi got an update last night about the time I noticed everything going wonky.

So for the sake of my sanity instead of relying on discovery I hardcoded IPs for all of my Yeelight and Cast devices. Poof, it all started working again.

I hope this helps someone else who suddenly has this problem. It’s a bit of a head scratcher for me. Here are the release notes for the Google WiFi update. https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/9378012?

I had this happen, too! For me I started noticing problems on the morning of October 30. I also figured out what you did – Google WiFi pushed out an update and I think the devices started dropping (gradually) as the DHCP leases expired. Or maybe it was something else – all I know is that they didn’t become unavailable all at once; I have four Google Home Minis and they started becoming “unavailable” at different times on October 30. I still have an old Google Home and a Google Nest Hub that are still receiving commands from Home Assistant. I’m wondering if they will ever become unavailable…

I also figured out that I can give them DHCP reservations and hard-code the IP in the media_players section of the ha config, and they would work again. I wish I really understood what was happening though!

Have the same issue… Xiaomi Aqara, cast, knx trough IP is all not discoverable by HA. Using google wifi, and all of these issues started happening after the update.

Just an update. My solutions to the Cast and Yeelight problem seem to be ironclad, but the Xiaomi hub issue is not resolved. The hubs I have are both complaining of poor internet connection with a message saying >5% of packets are being dropped. I’m guessing the security update is blocking traffic from the hubs intermittently.

My new solution, which is time consuming and probably not available to everyone, has been to move all my Xiaomi devices over to my ZHA network. There’s been a lot of progress in that department since I setup the hubs and everything seems to be working quite well except for the farthest sensor from the hub.

I think the only way to get this resolved is to complain to Google, which is probably like yelling at a wall.

Hey guys. I’ve reached out to Google wifi support. They say they are aware of the issue and is working on a fix. Could not provide a timeline.

I think I’m having the same issue, but most of my Google devices no longer show up at all, unavailable or not. I can of course hardcode static IPs in, but the Google Home groups associated with these devices are still an issue. Also on Google WiFi

Expanding on your reply - looks like the issue is indeed specific to folks using Google’s mesh routers - see here. Apparently a recent firmware update bricked the pucks’ ability to forward the multicast DNS records of each cast device between each other. The workaround is to disable all but a single puck, so that all cast devices (and HA) are connected to the same router, but it sounds like a firmware fix is on the way.