Yeelight LED Bulbs (RGB and White Bulbs)

Has anyone managed to trigger the ‘favorite/recommend’ settings via HA? I’ve been using sunset and sunrise and really like the effects as they fade through natural colours as they switch on/off. I would like to trigger them automatically (eg trigger sunset settings when I enter the bedroom after 10pm), but can’t find a way to do so currently via HA.

Well just to share the experience. Have also upgraded to _52
Everything works but in logs now seein the following [homeassistant.components.light.yeelight] Unable to update bulb status: Bulb closed the connection.

One of rgbw bulbs I have changes it’s ip constantly. I set up a fixed ip for the mac address from the router, but the bulb has one more mac address which it likes to swap to.
Has anyone had any experience with this kind of behaviour?

And also as you know, homeassistant needs ips for yeelight setup. Is there another way?

Odd, I have never seen a device switch MAC addresses.

Discovery works also, not sure if the name would come across consistently though, or conflict with your static entries.

No, the model no. for Ceiling light is YLXD01YL. I think DP means bulb only. Also, there will be a Youth Version of Ceiling light out this month.

I asked the same question in the yeelight forum. One of the develepers told me that he has confirmed that the light would never change mac address. So the mac change might be due to my router but I am not sure about that.

I have 3 rgbw lights and currently all of the lights are acting weird. I am away from home, 1 off them is unavaliable (the one with the mac change issue), one other is off and can not be turned on, the last one is on and can not be turned off.

Everything works normal from the yeelight app. All lights are reported off.

I must say that the HASS experience with yeelights is very frustrating.

@sendorm, are you adding the yeelights via discovery or manually adding them to your configuration file by IP address?

The one with a changing MAC address will cause issues, if it gets a new MAC somehow it would theoretically get a new IP address to go with the new MAC. As HA tracks these lights by IP the moving target will be hard to pin down.

For each bulb, have you assigned a static IP in your router settings? That may help, again moving target issue. Take out as many variables as possible. The app isn’t dependent on the IP address as far as I know. Also, you cannot access the bulbs from the app and HASS at the same time.

I am manually adding them.

The one with a changing MAC address will cause issues, if it gets a new MAC somehow it would theoretically get a new IP address to go with the new MAC. As HA tracks these lights by IP the moving target will be hard to pin down.
Yes this is the problem I am facing. I will probably go with the discover method and get the unique light names. That way it wont be such a problem I hope.

I’ve assigned a fixed ip address for each light in the router. Even for the changing mac one (It has a static ip for each mac).

Yeah the app uses the music mode to connect, but they might have changed that behaviour in the last firmware as I’ve read in the yeelight forums.

I’ve found the reason for the mac change. I have a wifi extender at home. It was using the same network id. When the lights connected through the extender, the extender gave them new mac addresses.
I’ve changed the extended wifis name, so the lights can not connect through the extender.

You should turn DHCP off on the extender, you only want ips assigned by one device.

A device still can’t change is Mac address, is the ‘new’ one the Mac of the extender by any chance?

The dhcp is off at the second dhcp. The first router was still giving the ip’s.
The problem was the way extenders work. When a network is extended with the same network id of the first one, any entity joining the extended portion gets a new mac address. That way the extender knows where to forward the packets.
And yes the new mac was a mac address given by the repeater.

The WiFi standard only really allows 1 MAC address to be downstream of a connection to the AP. This is a problem if you want to take a WiFi signal and go back to Ethernet and have multiple devices connected, or if you want to bridge two Ethernet LANs over wifi, or a downstream repeater with multiple MACs connected, etc…

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/4huzzp/tplink_tlwa854re_wifi_extender_changes_client/

I bought these bulbs (white) but they just are soo white. Totally unusable unless I would put them in a closet or something.

Interesting. I’ve only bought the RGB bulbs and have really enjoyed using them, and I was thinking about buying the white bulbs for situations where I’m not worried about being able to tune the whiteness or change the color. When you say they’re too white, do you mean they’re too blue (too “cold”)?

Did you not check the color temp before buying (4000k) is rather bright/blue to most. I noted this in my review a number of times to try and warn prospective buyers.

1 Like

Yes not smart on my behalf, but oh well they we’re only 10,- each so I’ll just use them where the color won’t matter like a shed.

Any good alternatives btw?

I use the IKEA TRÅDFRI bulbs. The issue there is the hub is a bit flakey. Haven’t had time to test if it’s HA or the hub itself.

Other than that It would depend on what your current HA setup is. There are zwave bulbs but that requires some sort of zwave hub. Hue bulbs are popular but also require a hub.

If you are in the US and want to sell them shoot me a PM.

I’m in The Netherlands. Thanks for the tips!

I have the same error code that has only started happening recently. The code appears using Home Assistant, or Hass.IO.

Any ideas on why this is occurring? I have tried roll backs to HA 47.x and the problem still persists.

Strange turn of events. I was cleaning up my shop last night and saw this bulb sitting on my bench. Figured I would plug it in one last time before I tossed it.

Turned on normal. Re-added it to the app and HA, working perfectly. We shall see how long it lasts, might be fluke or it may be back for good. Interesting though as I did a lot of resets before contacting gearbest.