Yeelight Motion Sensor Closet Light A40

This is a low profile, nice looking, useful LED light with motion sensor and battery built in with USB-C charging port. It has 20,40 and 60 cm length options.

It has 3 modes, Off, Always On and Motion triggered On (30 secs timeout after the last motion). The light is diffused and very nice and you have the option to buy Cool or Warm White Colors. The battery lasts more than 1 month (In bedroom, near the bed). It also has a light sensor, so the motion trigger mode only works in dark. This is also marketed under many different chinese brands, i assume all of them are the same.

Pros:

• Diffused light
  • Battery
  • Slim form factor
  • Motion and light sensor
  • USB-C charging port

Cons:

• 30 secs timeout, not changeable
  • Slow motion sensor trigger, sometimes not reading the motion at all.
  • Motion sensor area is too narrow
  • No brightness adjust
  • No wireless communication, hence no way to connect it to HA (on/off only works with a physical tiny switch on the light)

So, I was wondering if there is a way to connect an ESP8266 to make it wireless, although that means the battery solution will be useless probably, but i can still live with a 5V cable connected to this light at all times.

Here is what is under the hood:

Diffusing plastics:

Placement of LEDS, one side only, on a rigid board:

Board (Partial scene):

I really want to make this wireless with brightness control, maybe with ESPHome so that i can also use my zigbee motion sensors with it. Will keep you informed if i can manage. In the meantime i am open to all comments and reccomendations…

I have 3 of these around the house. They are useful, but the battery doesn’t last 2-6 months as advertised in the spaces I use them. Maybe 2 weeks. In a closet where it doesn’t get a lot of use, perhaps.

You can adjust brightness. Press and hold the button while it’s on.

Have you managed hack them with an ESP or ZB?