Yeelight unavailable at times after .54 release

I’ve got an R7000 but put AsusWRT Merlin on it and haven’t seen that warning since. From what I’ve seen the AsusWRT device tracker is loads better too, certainly works perfectly for me. The Netgear UI is so bad it’s worth changing just for that.

Linky… http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/index.htm

I had same problem and (I think) the problem was of insufficient WiFi signal.

I put XWRT firmware, put wiFi signal at 100% (I think is equivalent to putting settings of USA) , and now they work perfectly

Glad to hear it did sort you out, told you it was good :+1:

I hardly ever think about my network anymore.

1 Like

Wow that sounds interesting. I might give it a shot. Any chance of bricking the device while flashing firmware?
Also, I’m using it in access point mode, since I’m stuck with my internet providers ZTE router.
Can Netgear work as access point with this firmware as well?
And most importantly, can I go back to stock if something fails?

I also use it in AP mode. I flashed the firmware without any issues. I think is reversible, check their website and forums

Yes, you can go back to stock but I’d be amazed if it failed, it’s not flaky bake stuff like DD-WRT.

Firmware is on the link I posted, discussion here…

It’s really great, it works exactly like an ASUS RT-AC86U, Asus Android app and everything.

1 Like

I’ve successfully installed the new firmware and so far working great, far far less “unavailable” bars on the charts.

Thanks a lot @Bobby_Nobble and @anon35356645

Seems they will soon port the next generation Asus firmware as well!

Please note that there is a reason why the official firmware has less Wi-Fi range: the reason are regulations that put safety before performance.

I also put the new firmware, hopefully will not get cancer from radiations :smile:

Well you have to die from something, right? Might as well be from a decent wifi signal :slight_smile:

BTW guys (@Bobby_Nobble and @anon35356645) I’ve implemented the ASUWRT tracker but it doesn’t seem to be working. It just detects LAN devices from what I see, not the WIFI connected devices (phones which I want to track).

I enabled SSH on the router and this is my configuration.yaml

Any clues?

device_tracker:
  - platform: asuswrt
    host: 192.168.1.2
    username: admin
    password: xxx

EDIT: in the Asus log I get this (I guess it didn’t scan fully…):

Mar 12 15:08:36 dropbear[3508]: Child connection from 192.168.1.39:53496
Mar 12 15:08:36 dropbear[3508]: Password auth succeeded for 'admin' from 192.168.1.39:53496
Mar 12 15:09:53 dropbear[3508]: Exit (admin): Error reading: Connection reset by peer

Those devices do not show in kniwn_devices?

Only 5 devices are shown…I have over 30.

I don’t know if this is another clue or not…error log from HA when booting (after setting up the tracker)

Ended unfinished session (id=157 from 2018-03-12 13:10:14.583731)
14:10 components/recorder/__init__.py (WARNING)

Literally all I did was put my version of what you have in my config, turned on SSH on the router, like you have, and it automiatcally created a known_devices.yaml with all connected devices listed.

Errors don’t mean anything to me, sorry.

Reviving this old topic, since I still have issues with my one E27 Yeelight in Home Assistent. Changed router recently and did not improve the situation.
Next to what I have, is giving it a static IP. The strangest thing is, that when HASSio says it’s unavailable I AM able to control it via the Yeelight app.
This unreliability renders is pretty much unusable in any HA setup / automations.

I find this happens as well but it does eventually pick it up.

This started happening with me today. HA seems to be only place it doesn’t work.

It’s only been happening to me since 0.70.0b0 release. As I say, it does come back and it can come back quicker if you use the app to turn it on/off or power cycle it.

I created an automation to notify me when it was happening for testing purposes. I found that mine would only go ‘unavailable’ for a very short time, around 16 seconds maximum. The frequency of it happening dropped away hugely when I a) removed a wifi extender from my network, b) changed to a different router.

On boy, I just added an extender. Gonna pull it to see if issue stops. I’m on 0.76.2

Interesting the one I’m having an issue with is on a repeater - but it’s on it’s own SSID (the repeater) and also it’s wired to the main router by ethernet.

I was able to revive mine by unplugging the extender and rebooting HASS. Once hass was up the devices came back. I then proceed to plug the extender back in. So, I wonder if the network extender is slowing things down so much that is causing the components to timeout at boot? No idea.