YET another take on an alarm system

Works prefectly. Thanks Gaz.

Hi,
I am not able to display the clock. I have clock: True in alarm.yaml and I have rebooted several times also changing the value between restarts.
Any hint?

You also need the following in your configuration.yaml

sensor:
  - platform: time_date
    display_options:
      - 'time'

That did it.
Thanks a lot!

Hi,
Is possible to set a pending time also for the home mode?

I cannot seem to get this alarm system working. I saved all the files in my config folder, saved the two line items in my configuration.yaml. But when I restart it noting comes up, HA does not start, I waited a good 30 minutes.

I am running HassIO 0.64.0. It seems it cannot load the bwalarm.py custom_component. Any idea what I need to do? I loaded a simple alarm and it seems to work fineā€¦

This works

alarm_control_panel:
  - platform: manual
    name: Home Alarm
    code: 1234
    pending_time: 30
    delay_time: 20
    trigger_time: 4
    disarmed:
      trigger_time: 0
    armed_home:
      pending_time: 0
      delay_time: 0

This starts, but gives an error

alarm_control_panel:
  - platform: bwalarm
    name: Home Alarm
    code: 1234
    pending_time: 30
    delay_time: 20
    trigger_time: 4
    disarmed:
      trigger_time: 0
    armed_home:
      pending_time: 0
      delay_time: 0

You only need to put the two lines in configuration.yaml. They point to the files where this new alarm component is configured.
Do not write that alarm_control_panel definition.
And then check the logs for errors.

yes, i put the two lines in and hassio never started back up, so i could not check the log.
i then tried the manual alarm to see if it would work and did.

Just one suggestion: move the code readout somewhere else. The buttons shift down when the first character appears, causing misclicks.

Or, have the ā€œlineā€ be full width before you enter characters.

2 Likes

I have set up this panel and it works as expected. However, I have a request. May be this could already be done, but I do not know how.
I have defined the home mode by ignoring the motion sensors I have at the rooms in my house. I have a tablet in my kitchen where I arm and disarm the alarm. In the kitchen there is a motion sensor and another in a corridor I need to pass to get to the rooms. Those sensors are in the immediate group.
So, after I arm the alarm in home mode and go to the rooms, it triggers immediately.
I think it should have a pending time also for the home mode, as the official alarm_panel has.
Any way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

The home mode is supposed to ignore the motion sensors inside the house. That is why it is called ā€œhome modeā€.
The window sensors are active but not the motion sensors inside the house. It makes no sense to trigger the alarm when you wake up in the middle of the night when you really need to pee. Can you imagine having to disarm the alarm every time you wake up at 3 am?

I understand your reasoning. But in that case, why the official alarm component has a pending time also for the home mode? why I have a comercial alarm system I pretend to replace with HA, that when armed with ā€œhome modeā€ enabled, let me pee while my first floor is kept completly motion awarded? what is the use of ā€œnight modeā€? And with this new component, ā€œperimeter modeā€? can you imagine a house with more than a floor?
Our needs are not always the same. And flexibility is always a gain, I think.

I would want a pending time for ā€˜home modeā€™ so that sensors in far parts of my house can be armed at night but I wont set the alarm off accidentally if I walk into that room in the morning having forgot to disarm the alarm. Thatā€™s how I used to program professional alarm systems. People forget to disarm alarms and this prevents getting your ears blown out first thing in the morning!

1 Like

This addon really has nothing to do with the official alarm component.

You should set up your modes like this:
Perimeter mode: active sensors on doors and windows only.
Home mode: active sensors in rooms you will not be using and the perimeter.

My house has more than one floor and this works perfectly.

Have you considered moving your tablet to another location?

I know that this addon has nothing to do whith the official alarm component. I discovered that when I lose that functionality.
I was only kindly asking the developer if he could consider adding it as you did to override the pending time.
Of course, I also know that a can move the tablet. But it does not seem very useful to go up to the second floor when you arrive home to disarm the away mode.

While I am in ā€œhome modeā€ there is a pending time for when I open the main door. I guess the same can happen for the motion sensors. Unless you are trying to make another point which I dont understand, and I am trully sorry for that. If I misunderstood your question, explain me please.

If I am in front of my tablet and press ā€œHome modeā€, I should stay all night in that position. Otherwise, the alarm will trigger inmediatly because of the motion sensor installed where the tablet is. With no warning advice. And I need that sensor enabled in home mode.

Oooooohh!!! I now understand! Ok, there is no such thing in this alarm system but hopefully @gazoscalvertos will be able to do this in a later update.

By that time, you can use the custom elements and add a script that activates home mode in 60 seconds.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.

Yep good idea will add into the next release