YET another take on an alarm system

Yeah that should be easy enough if you create two scripts to trigger the arm/disarm

Then create a shortcut in the Google Home app for… When I say “Arm alarm” > “Turn on arm alarm”

I’ll give this a bash myself and upload some sample scripts to the github. Alexa integration would be good too…

1 Like

Works a treat. Follow this guide to setup google assistant if you haven’t already done so.

Then add 2x scripts into your scripts.yaml:

alarm_arm:
  sequence:
    service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_arm_away
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
alarm_disarm:
  sequence:
    service: alarm_control_panel.alarm_disarm
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
    data:
      code: 9999

Then create 2x shortcuts in the Google Home app

When I say “Arm house” > “Turn on alarm_arm”
When I say “Disarm house” > “Turn on alarm_disarm”

2 Likes

Whilst I like this idea, I do worry about the security (says the man who accidentally posted his arm code) that all a burglar needs to when he/she breaks in is ask google to turn off off the alarm… kinda deleting the need for the code…

would be great is there was away for google to ask for the code :slight_smile:

just my 2 pence worth :slight_smile:

I see this as a similar alternative to your button solution.

Google Assistant integration is provided by profile. I have set this up on my own google profile (not the ones in use by tablets on the walls) which gives me the ability to arm/disarm using my phone only.

Ok google arm house :slight_smile:

Plus the disarm phrase could be anything you want it to be.

Ok google verify code foxtrot oscar charlie zulu

A burglar wouldn’t know that unless he’s ear wigging outside.

Ah cool thats a good way, I thought the idea was like with Alexa in my house that any one of the devices could turn of the alarm, but locking it down to your phone is way cool :slight_smile:

And its no different from the Burglar ordering a Pizza or something from Amazon Prime…

The dash buttons work very well, as found a article on how to use MQTT so they work quite fast and well… not bad for £1.99 each :slight_smile: in the Black Friday Sale

I was tempted to buy some to use as generic switches but read they can have a lag? Not sure how true that is

Yeah thats true MQTT Helps the lag, bu not as quick as the Xiaomi Switches I have, but they are good for the lower end stuff…

For example, I have a PlayDoh one that my 4 year old can use as a light toggle switch to teach her about automation and stuff (cant start too early).

Turn on TV, activate a Light Scene… things that can wait and Alarm buttons… for the price you cant go wrong.

That’s a good idea. Missed the boat there then but there’s bound to be more opportunities.

I actually prefer using my zwave door lock as the alarm. I setup an autolock feature on it and made it so if you lock the door from the outside the alarm is armed and when you unlock from outside the alarm is disarmed. This is also helpful when you are on vacation and have people taking care of the house.

1 Like

i have a question for all of you guys. what do you use as security devices? wireless or wired device?
couz i know that a diy alarm system is more cheap than a “professional” one, but all the wirelees device (z-wave, zig-bee, wifi ect…) can be easily jammered.
So what do you think? It is possible to set up a really “secure” alarm system with home assistant?

Hi

I use Xiaomi Door/Window Sensors and Xiaomi Motion Sensors, all over the house and they are rock solid in terms of reliability, I currently use 3 Xiaomi Hubs for the Alarm Sound over the house.

I actually think in terms of functionaility and customisation its knocks the socks of Professional Alarm System, its as it reliable, probably not, as my system needs mains power, and if the power is cut the system stops, but I would know this has happened as I monitoring the Home Assistant Externally so I would be aware.

But I haven’t had any problems with it, and when tested has always worked… for the price its amazing…

i have a similar setup but all the hardware is under ups. in term of costumization and price there is no doubt. But i think that is not a “real” security system.

I noticed I can’t use switches for my alarm sensors (I have some 433 magnetic switches for my doors and windows that return on/off for open/closed), it’s not that much of a problem as I can create some template sensors to return open/closed, it’s just more stuff to maintain, so it would be nice if switches could be supported :slight_smile:

@dshokouhi I think it depends what you want to achieve, from a security system.

If you take away certification, and thats its technically home-brew, I think it actually makes a good system, has been tested like a professional one, probably not, can the code of Home Assistant add to issues, maybe due to the constant update nature ( that is not a disservice to the great work the team do here).

What it does give over and above a professional system, is home integration those door sensor and motion sensor are now intwined to my house automation, making the return on investment excellent… this is another positive.

Cost is another factor hear, I put in a RF based Alarm system into our new build house 2 years ago, and with all the door sensors, 4 motion sensors and the system would say it was near on £350, although it did have a basic app to arm and disarm, but didnt have notifications. Moving the Alarm to home assistant using Xiaomi products for the same amount of money, I have all for doors, motion sensors (in more rooms) and all the windows now covered for more or less the same cost, thus increasing the security of my home, and a higher degree of notification, automation etc…

So in essence I think it better than a professional system… but be careful, its home-brew configured by yourself so test, test and test :)…

1 Like

yes i agree, xiaomi product are really beautiful, and the integrations with a domotic system are really big. i am asking to myself if i can rely on a security system like this. If i really need it (thief instrusion) can i trust the system?

It does take a degree of sophistication to block the RF signals from Zigbee/Z-wave successfully using a powerful signal jammer (That being said someone probably has developed an automatic tool which no doubt will appear on ebay at some point) as this requires knowledge of linux, RF, electronics.

Most thieves tend to be desperate, opportunistic individuals. If someone really does want to get into your property they certainly will with enough time/effort even if using a wired system.

Take a risk based approach and use a mix of wired/wireless if possible and even mix your technologies. I’m using both Zigbee & Zwave (diff RF frequencies) motion & door sensors. Use a UPS for your HA server, hubs & router if you can afford or salvage one.

Integrate SMS via a Rpi with adapter using a pay as you go sim card into your design.

Don’t attract unwanted attention to your property (valuables on display etc).

Consider concealed outdoor cameras with motion detection, PoE if possible.

Ultimately all security systems are vulnerable, the reason I like this approach is you can configure this any way you see fit. Incorporate different technologies. mediums, ingenuity and its fun. Plus it gives the wife more sense of security than our old wired alarm as everything is displayed right on her phone.

One thing I am considering that might be over kill, as I have 3 gateways is to have 2 Door Sensors on each door with each sensor paired with each gateway, for the sake of £25 you get resilience.

So in the event of a failure of a Gateway the doors are still protected.

I also has HA monitoring the Up Status of each hub and in the event of a failure I will get notified also, so at least I am aware if something fails when the alarm is set.

I have also modded a door sensor for a automated doorbell, as I tired with a WEMOS D1 Mini and kept getting false doorbell rings even with a resistor, using the Modded Xiaomi Door Sensor works a treat :slight_smile:

Also another take on what @gazoscalvertos was saying I have ordered a 4G USB Dongle for my Asus RT88U router so in the event of internet failure I will get get alerts and notifications.

Also another great feature for £12 for 2 window sensors in our 4 year bedroom is she manages to open a windows (unlocking) its some point in her life, we will get a audible notification and a message on the phone… this is another reason to champion DIY alarm :slight_smile: