YoLink AlarmFob is missing except battery level, and it is recognized as "SmartRemoter"

I have purchased the YoLink Alarmfob (Model # YS3604-ALARMFOB) -

and in my Home Assistant Yolink Integration it is only recognized as a “SmartRemoter” - and the only thing the device offers for integration in this regard is the battery level. Although within the yolink ecosystem it can interoperate with all the other Yolink devices in my home for setting up as a pretty decent alarm system with regards to using the buttons - I need to be able to have other things within Home Assistant also be launched by the use of those buttons at the same time as well (so I can automations that take place with regards to the alarm system being armed, disarmed, etc.). Have I set something up wrong here?

Remotes usually use the HA event bus and not the state machine.
Open the HA developer tools and go to the event tab there to look for events from the remote.

Thanks for the effort regarding helping out. This is what I have on that screen, there is no way to figure out where it might be listening for a button press - that is the only thing in my entire environment with a button - and I am not sure how to evens earch for it here anyway:

As an extra tidbit of iniformation, I actually got a message back from the developer - to which I disagreed wholeheartedly - and told him that HA also listens - but did not yet hear back -

" @KruseLuds
YoLink devices seamlessly integrate with Home Assistant through the YoLink API. In the YoLink API, devices are identified and accessed based on their category rather than specific models. Therefore, all YoLink Fobs are recognized and categorized under “SmartRemoter.”

Home Assistant provides platforms and entities for device integration. For example, the Sensor platform allows registration of sensor devices, and under the Sensor platform, there are various entities such as temperature, humidity, and battery level. The Switch platform provides entities for switches and default switch control methods such as open and close.

HA records device activity through entities. However, Home Assistant does not support virtual entities, Although HA provides button platform and entity, it is only use to operate physical device, such as shutdown a device via HA. This is reason why we cannot register the physical buttons of the device as HA button entities."

Does his response make any sense to you?

Somewhat.
You can not register a button press that just last a split second in HAs state machine, because the entities is updated so slowly that the button press would be unnoticed.
That is why it should go on the event bus instead.

@KruseLuds and anyone else that comes to this thread. If you go to Devices \ YoLink and click the YoLink Fob. Then click the “+” by the Automations header and then “Show 8 more…” to view each of the button press types. There are short and long presses for each button (I’m using the FlexFob YS3604-UC). From there you can associate each with their own automation. Good luck!

1 Like

Great to know, thank you so much!

1 Like