You are running an unsupported installation

@Lucart98 probably already done, but just in case, have you rebooted your RPi ? I had the same message once, and a reboot fixed it.

Yes, already tried multiple times but didn’t fix it.

Yes. people sometimes don’t know what they have.

Has anyone noticed that it says os 4.17 in one place and 4.19 in another?

I’m seeing the same thing on my test instance (but it doesn’t indicate it is unsupported):

4.19 here
Screenshot from 2020-11-27 14-33-12

4.17 farther down the list:
Screenshot from 2020-11-27 14-33-33

I assume it’s due to some subtle difference in the version control scheme (or not).

In addition, despite a concerted effort to expunge the deprecated term Hass.io from all official documentation, there it is in boldface in the latest release. :man_shrugging: That section ought to be titled Supervisor or HassOS or something other than a term that is supposed to have been deprecated a half year ago.

Actually I think 4.19 may be the kernel version?

Agree on hass.io sigh

2 Likes

Kernel version? That sounds right.

I think I read something somewhere (release notes??) that the next version of HassOS will be based on 5.4.

EDIT

FWIW, even the upgrade to 5.4 still renders my test instance incapable of being promoted to a production instance. An enhancement in 5.9 is why my production instance continues to be HA Supervised on Linux.

Community member jameshilliard added a patch that allows Linux to detect a certain USB-based device as a serial device (as it should be).

Older version of the kernel don’t see it as a serial device and render it invisible to Home Assistant’s UPB integration.

My advice to the OP: report to github, but don’t bother reinstalling, unless something else isn’t working.

Well my patches were backported to a number of older stable LTS kernel branches including 5.4, but it would only be later 5.4 point releases that would have it included.

1 Like

Supervisor randomly stopped showing the error :man_shrugging:

GitHub issue: You are running an unsupported installation · Issue #2311 · home-assistant/supervisor

A “Solution” post explains how to solve the original, stated problem. What exactly did you do to make your system report it is now a supported installation?

I maked the reply as “Solution” to tag the entire post as solved, since the problem has been solved without doing anything (and maybe that is what someone should do when this problem occurs).

One possible explanation is given by ludeeus on the GitHub issue that I linked in the reply:

I’m guessing that the message you see is due to Wi-Fi is not connected during startup.
This is fixed in the Supervisor version that is currently on the beta channel.

Anyway, since doing nothing is not a “real” solution to the problem, I removed the solution mark.

Does your RPi4 normally connect to your network via Wi-Fi? Or does it use a hard-wired Ethernet connection?

It’s connected via Wi-Fi only. I plan to move it to Ethernet in the next weeks.

Hello, I’m having a similar issue. It says I’m running an unsupported version. Seems to be a problem with network-manager.
I followed this link, https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/network_manager, and added the mentioned code into the proper files but I’m still getting same problem.

Here you have some screen shots with some info from my system.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

Check the version of Network Manager. ssh into Debian and execute this command

sudo apt list network-manager

This is the response on my (supported) system:

network-manager/stable,now 1.14.6-2+deb10u1 amd64 [installed]

Hello, thanks for your quick reply.
I’m using the same than you.

network-manager/stable,now 1.14.6-2+deb10u1 arm64 [installed]

In that case, I don’t know why it is reporting that it’s “Unsupported”.

You can wait until someone else, with more knowledge about this issue, responds to your question or you can report it as an Issue in the Supervisor repository.

Ok awesome, thanks for your help. I will wait a bit and if no one has a solution, I will report it to supervisor’s repository.

What errors does the supervisor log show? There are a couple of other things that can cause the unsupported error…

Hello David, I get this warnings but no errors.

21-03-28 22:59:10 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unsupported environment!
21-03-28 22:59:10 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] NetworkManager is not correctly configured (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/network_manager)
21-03-28 22:58:55 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.dbus.network] No Network Manager support on the host. Local network functions have been disabled.
21-03-28 22:59:00 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.dbus.rauc] Host has no rauc support. OTA updates have been disabled.