You are running an unsupported installation

In that case, I don’t know why it is reporting that it’s “Unsupported”.

You can wait until someone else, with more knowledge about this issue, responds to your question or you can report it as an Issue in the Supervisor repository.

Ok awesome, thanks for your help. I will wait a bit and if no one has a solution, I will report it to supervisor’s repository.

What errors does the supervisor log show? There are a couple of other things that can cause the unsupported error…

Hello David, I get this warnings but no errors.

21-03-28 22:59:10 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unsupported environment!
21-03-28 22:59:10 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] NetworkManager is not correctly configured (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/network_manager)
21-03-28 22:58:55 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.dbus.network] No Network Manager support on the host. Local network functions have been disabled.
21-03-28 22:59:00 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.dbus.rauc] Host has no rauc support. OTA updates have been disabled.

Ah so the warnings are all for network-manager then. Bugger.

Yeah, I couldn’t find much information in there unfortunately.

Thanks anyways!

So there are a number of files to check in the docs

/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default
/etc/network/interfaces

What do they say?

I have the same problem. I’m running Home Assistant OS 7.0, core-2021.12.1, supervisor-2021.12.1 but the Configuration->System->Supervisor shows:

Supervisor

Also, the Configuration->Info->Supervisor section shows the following:

Home Assistant Supervisor
host_os Home Assistant OS 7.0
update_channel stable
supervisor_version supervisor-2021.12.1
docker_version 20.10.9
disk_total 28.6 GB
disk_used 15.1 GB
healthy true
supported failed to load: Unsupported
board rpi3
supervisor_api ok
version_api ok
installed_addons File editor (5.3.3), Samba share (9.5.1), Terminal & SSH (9.2.1), Duck DNS (1.14.0), Portainer (2.0.0), RPC Shutdown (2.2), Home Assistant Google Drive Backup (0.105.2), ESPHome (2021.12.0), Caddy 2 (1.0.9), Assistant Relay (0.7.4)

I believe the unsupported software problem happens when a standalone container is installed as explained here: Unsupported software

In my case, I’ve installed HomeBridge to my Home Assistant as a Container via Portainer as explained here to get my Nest Thermostat to work with Home Assistant since the Nest Thermostat plugin for HomeBridge works without any problems when Google Account - Refresh Token is used.

I believe that to be the reason why I’m having an unsupported installation problem.

There will be a link in Supervisor that will show you what the issue is. Also the supervisor log. Portainer itself is unsupported now and withdrawn so it could be Portainer as well as homebridge causing the error

Such a shame since I believe that is the only stable way to get the Nest Thermostat to integrate into Home Assistant and the Nest plugin for HomeBridge is still maintained and updated. That is the only solution I had a no issue integration for the Nest Thermostat. I also have the Google/Nest hello doorbell and that works with the google integration but not the Thermostat.

Subsequent question for the forum:

If someone manages to create a community / custom add-on version of the same HomeBridge, so that in the end the HomeBridge comes to HA via Supervisor, instead of via Portainer…
… would the Supervisor still declare our HomeBridge add-on being an “Unsupported software”?

Anything you can do with portainer you can do with docker.

Does this not work then? Google Nest - Home Assistant

Anything you do with docker will make you unsupported. There is a third party add on for Portainer but again it will make you unsupported

True, but are we too worried about unsupported?

3 Likes

If it did, it would explicitly put the reason in it’s log.

21-12-13 18:35:18 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] Detected unsupported OS: KDE neon Unstable Edition (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/os)

21-12-13 18:35:18 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unsupported environment!

21-12-13 18:36:18 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] Found unsupported images: {'cr.portainer.io/portainer/portainer-ce'} (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/software)

@Mr.ToR if you’re having a specific problem with the nest integration let me know and i’m happy to help you diagnose it. In particular, the integration instructions were simplified by 50% in 2021.12 and no longer require ssl, redirect urls, dns names, or the complicated pub setup.
Context: am nest integration maintainer

2 Likes

That’s really good to know. I’ve actually set up the Nest integration last year and I’ve been using the camera doorbell with it but the thermostat was disabled. I think the reason I went with the Nest plugin for HomeBridge for the thermostat was that it seemed like it also exposed the presence sensor and I thought it was more stable specifically after power outages.

Following your message, I enabled the thermostat device from your Nest integration and will use both integrations for a while in a test dashboard before hopefully removing the HomeBridge and be done with the unsupported software issue once and for all.

Thermostat

David, When I set up my system (back then on Debian 10 now Debian 11), I followed a guide that included the installation of Portainer. These days I’m not using Partainer at all, but I sometimes check the status page and it shows a nice summare of what is going on.

It clearly is making my system appear as unsupported. Did you use Portainer in the past?

21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.checks.base] Run check for IssueType.TRUST/ContextType.CORE
21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.checks.base] Run check for IssueType.SECURITY/ContextType.CORE
21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.check] System checks complete
21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluate] Starting system evaluation with state CoreState.RUNNING
21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.host.services] Updating service information
21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.host.network] Updating local network information
**21-12-26 08:57:52 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] Found unsupported images: {'portainer/portainer'} (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/software)**
21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluate] System evaluation complete
21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.fixup] Starting system autofix at state CoreState.RUNNING
21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.fixup] System autofix complete
21-12-26 08:57:52 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.host.sound] Updating PulseAudio information

Everything works fine on my end, so I guess I could simply not bother but I think I would rather prefer to be on a fully supported environment just in case.

thanks

Yes I have always used portainer. You can just delete the portainer image and if necessary the portainer container as well using docker commands