How to install Hass.io into QNAP Virtualisation Station

Does anyone have points for how to map a QNAP NAS media folder to the HA media/ folder when HA is installed in an ova VM on the QNAP NAS?

This works for me. Just change the IP, username, password and of course the folder on the nas.

shell_command:
  mount: mount -t cifs -o username=admin,password=password,domain=WORKGROUP //192.168.3.9/NAS/Downloads /mnt/media

Thanks @miroslavpetrov for taking the time to respond. I will give it try next weekend when I have some time.

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Been wanting to get HAOS off my PC and onto my NAS, surprised it was this easy. I wonder why this option isn’t described in the HA install documentation.

In case anybody comes here confused, follow the directions exactly but at the end before you start the VM, go into the VM settings > boot options and change ‘firmware type’ to UEFI. Even if you check EFI in VirtualBox before exporting, it will not work until you set it for the VM. I saw several people say they were hung on ‘booting from hard disk’ and this is why that happens.

I recently moved from my Pi to my Qnap nas, but was surprised to see that it says I’m running an "Unsupported version"and that I need an OS agent. I don’t see how I can install an OS agent when I’m directly running Hass.io on the VM

Anyone have any tips?

Go to ConfigurationSettingsInfo… could you share what you have under System Health?

For me, I got this when I was running portainer as one of my add-on, and I used Portainer to manage a docker under HAOS. That practice however is not OK these days, so I’m told. Quoting this:

so I had to move that docker out of HAOS to somewhere else, and then clean its footprint from HAOS using Portainer, and then remove the portainer add-on.

I don’t think any of my add-ons run in a specific docker add-on. Below is a screenshot and a copy of my entire system health.

## System Health

version | core-2021.12.0
-- | --
installation_type | Home Assistant OS
dev | false
hassio | true
docker | true
user | root
virtualenv | false
python_version | 3.9.7
os_name | Linux
os_version | 5.4.109
arch | x86_64
timezone | America/Chicago

<details><summary>Home Assistant Community Store</summary>

GitHub API | ok
-- | --
Github API Calls Remaining | 4951
Installed Version | 1.12.3
Stage | running
Available Repositories | 966
Installed Repositories | 7

</details>

<details><summary>Home Assistant Cloud</summary>

logged_in | false
-- | --
can_reach_cert_server | ok
can_reach_cloud_auth | ok
can_reach_cloud | ok

</details>

<details><summary>Home Assistant Supervisor</summary>

host_os | Home Assistant OS 5.13
-- | --
update_channel | stable
supervisor_version | supervisor-2021.12.2
docker_version | 19.03.15
disk_total | 30.8 GB
disk_used | 4.8 GB
healthy | true
supported | failed to load: Unsupported
board | ova
supervisor_api | ok
version_api | ok
installed_addons | Z-Wave JS (0.1.52), OpenZWave (0.9.1), Duck DNS (1.12.5), Let's Encrypt (4.11.0), File editor (5.2.0), Samba share (9.3.1), Terminal & SSH (9.1.0), Home Assistant Google Drive Backup (0.103.1), Node-RED (10.0.1), Mosquitto broker (6.0.1)

</details>

<details><summary>Lovelace</summary>

dashboards | 3
-- | --
resources | 1
views | 4
mode | storage

</details>

I have also HA in Qnap Virtualization station. Im running Deconz (Conbee2). How do you access those files from Qnap that are inside running VM? I need to donwload/edit DDF files for Deconz…

Hi

I cant find the configuration.yaml file on my qnap or the folder where its located. I can edit in the file in HA but cant find the physical location is it imbedded in the image file?

I am trying to copy a folder for a Dashboard.

Thanks

Hello all
and thanks for all the useful information here.
@keyelle I want to report that it is possible to avoid the initial conversion step in Virtual Box on another machine :

1. Download on the NAS haos_ova-9.3.vmdk.zip and unzip
  2. In Virt.Station 3 the “Import” Button has a “Convert” option that produces a .img from the .vmdk
  3. Then create & configure a VM from this .img using the informations provided here and also in the documentation

My setup: QNAP HS-453DX, QTS 5.0.1, Virt. Stat. 3.6.39

Even more simple…

1. Download haos ova file place it on either your NAS or your local machine.
  2. In QNAP Virtualization Station, click the Import button, “Import VM”. Select where you downloaded to NAS or PC, and select the file.
  3. Options I selected later under ‘Advanced Settings’ were to use the VirtIo network and HDD drivers - may have worked with other options.

Embarrassingly simple.
Attaching USB drives devices to the VM also seems simple.

I’m running QTS 5.0.1.2194 on a x86 based NAS.
I had been running with using docker instances with QTS Container Station, but wanted a simpler setup (albeit a little less efficient) using a VM.and the Addon store.

2 Likes

Hi,
Please @mbartosik0 which version of Virtualization Station have you been using? Is it 4 beta? I’m just curious because I do not found the option to import .ova in the 3.6. Thanks

I want to help but what is this Virt. Stat. …? What is your version? How do I see my version? What happened? Why ask?

I migrated my HA from a separate small PC (N5105) to a QNAP VM (TS-464) with the same Process like you mentioned.

Connected my Sonoff Zigbee Dongle and all is there as if nothing has happened! Really “Embarrassingly simple” like you said.

I spend the VM 6GB of RAM and expanded the Diskimage to 256GB on my SSD, just because i have the ressources. After about 10hours now i couldn’t see any problems with this migration.

Just make sure you have disabled MariaDB (if installed) on your HA Install before making a full Backup. Then disconnect your old HA-Machine from the Network. Start the Migration process in converting the downloaded image from vmdk to img with Virtualisation Station and start installing the img. After a few seconds your vm is ready. Instead of adding a new user klick to restore from backup. Restoring is about several minutes and then reload the homeassistent.local page and log in with your credentials. Start mariaDB (again if installed in your old installation), set the ip of your Homeassistant to the same IP you used before with the old install. Also make sure you have connected your Zigbee Stick to the usb 2 port of your NAS and the usb port connected exclusively to your vm.

Thanks for sharing!

Virtualization Station 3 on QTS 5.01

OMG, thanks for much for this. I have been faffing around for the last two days trying different ways of getting this setup!

Hi there,
running VM homeassistant on QNAP. Have installed Nginx Proxy Manager on HA but having problems with SSL. Always getting following fault: Communication with the API failed, is NPM running correctly?
I am curious if I need forwart 443/80 to my new VM IP or to my Virtual Switch IP?
Other infos?
Greetings Heubi

Recently migrated my HA from RPI3 to QNAP VM too and am very happy with it.
It supports Matter add-on and is much faster than old RPI3

Only one issue found:
I cannot keep my edit under /etc for some system tunings. Everytime I reboot my HA, my edits lose. Any idea how to fix it?

This is kind of expected and I have no good answer.
But… what kind of tunings we are talking about? I’m just curious.

A few, one example:
/etc/zsh/zshrc
or /root/.zshrc