You can only use your camera to scan a QR code when using HTTPS

Every time I try to scan a QR code using the “Add a Zwave Device” feature of the mobile app on iOS, I see the message “You can only use your camera to scan a QR code when using HTTPS”. What do I need to do to fix this? I’m running Home Assistant on Nabu Casa/Home Assistant Cloud.

Honestly, I have never been able to make this work. As you have experienced, QR code scanning does not work from phone app. So, from my laptop, I logged into the cloud URL of HA (I have HA subscription and cloud URL is HTTPS). Then I tried to scan the QR code from laptop camera and it was successful, but the switch was placed in the Provisioning Entries list. From there, I tried almost everything and could not add the switch to HA. There is no documentation on how to move a device from Provisioning Entries to HA. None. I read somewhere that after putting the device in Provisioning Entries, cut the power to the device and then turn the power back on and device will be added to HA. Nope. Someone else said to do a factory reset on the device to move device from Provisioning Entries to HA, but this does not work either.

Finally, I just resorted to normal pairing process as per the manufacturer documentation. After putting HA into include mode, I briefly pressed the toggle up once. Now the switch was detected and HA asked me to enter the first five digits of the DSK code which is printed on the switch. After entering this code, HA again went into a coma trying to validate the DSK. I was trying so many things and then found that briefly pressing the toggle down, the DSK validation succeeds and switch was added. This is not documented anywhere and I found it just by trial and error.

This is just my experience, maybe there is a better way.

SmartThings hub has way better Z-Wave implementation. It can scan the QR code from phone app and switch is added to the hub within seconds.

I am using Z-Wave JS UI latest version and Zooz ZST10 700 USB stick.

Thanks! I too am using Nabu Casa, which I thought was the most secure way.

I have Smartthings too but never used the scan. Fortunately I haven’t had any issues getting devices to join in standard inclusion mode, that is for the most part. The issue has always been with the device needing to be excluded or reset, but sometimes it takes some effort to find out that’s needed.

I too am using the Zooz 700 stick.

Have you used both JS UI and the plain JS? I was thinking of switching to the UI because I frequently find myself going into the JS integration panel to see what entities are available.

I started out with plain JS but several months ago, switched to JS UI as it provided more control over various device configuration parameters. After adding a device, I change the device name to something more appropriate like Kitchen Light and define the location also. Then I select the device in device list and from there I can see the entity name and other information.

Do you have the app setup to use your Nabu Casa URL? Have you tried using your Nabu Casa URL in a web browser? If it works in your browser but not in the app it may be your app is not setup correctly.

In the app, under Network/Home Assistant URL, I have the option “Use Home Assistant Cloud” enabled, is that what you mean?

I am not using Nabu Casa. However, I got SSL to work just fine in Home Assistant with my own CA certificate and server certificate signed by that CA. I had to also add the CA to the Android certificate store on each of my Android devices (tablet, phone) in order for the Android app to communicate with Home Assistant over SSL. This allowed me to scan Z-Wave QR codes for Smartstart, which is pretty nifty. For battery operated devices, though, they need to be awaken, or the Smartstart won’t work.

When I setup my app it asked for the home assistant URL. The nabu casa URL was the only one I entered.

1 Like

When I setup my app it asked for the home assistant URL. The nabu casa URL was the only one I entered.

Any idea how I could change this URL now that the mobile app is already set up? And are you using iOS or Android?

Never mind, with your help I just answered my own question. I had to:

1. Log out in the iOS app.
  2. In Home Assistant, go to Settings/Home Assistant Cloud/Manage Account.
  3. Log in to the Nabu Casa account and copy the https:// URL.
  4. Reopen then app and paste that URL when prompted by the iOS app.

Are you able to scan QR codes now?

1 Like

Yes! Although the old way of inclusion mode seems to work more reliably. Often after a scan, it will say “Your device will be available when you turn it on”, but it wasn’t added or maybe the interview wasn’t completed.