You just won the lottery. How do you build the most stable HA server?

Maybe I can help. I installed Debian Chroot and used it to get a newer python version.

There are a few articles about how to set up Debian Chroot (basically [1]) but feel free to ask me anything you need.

[1] Debian Chroot · SynoCommunity/spksrc Wiki · GitHub

1 Like

Sorry to ask. Is the command above available only for HA version lower than 0.64.3 and python 3.5.1?

Currently, I have HA 0.67.1 and python 3.5.4 (OS Raspbian Stretch Lite and Hassbian) Can I use the command above?

If that was for me, in reference to upgrading to python 3.6.4, then yes those commands should work (so long as the users and venv location are correct).

1 Like

Thank you very much again ^^

1 Like

under Make tea

cd /srv/homeassistant
sudo rm * <=== I stuck on this part.

pi@rha:~/Python-3.6.4 $ cd /srv/homeassistant
pi@rha:/srv/homeassistant $ sudo rm *
rm: cannot remove ‘bin’: Is a directory
rm: cannot remove ‘include’: Is a directory
rm: cannot remove ‘lib’: Is a directory
rm: cannot remove ‘share’: Is a directory

Please advice

Try

sudo rm -rf *
1 Like

Thank you very much Mr.mf_social, finally I got HA run on python 3.6 venv (Raspbian Strech Lite).

I will try next on Hassbian.

During install homeassistant. There is mention about pip install need to upgrade. Do I need to upgrade pip under homeassistant user or on pi user?

You’re welcome.

Re upgrading pip, I would suggest the pi user, but I’m not 100% sure if it makes a difference either way.

Scratch that, would be from within the venv I think.

My setup in short:

Intel NUC > ProxMox > Ubuntu VM > HomeAssistant Docker (and Portainer, WatchTower, MySql, Influxdb, Mosquitto, Samba all in Docker containers).

Config is on github. VM backup on Nas. Never had any issues but I gues I could restore everything in 30 minutes in case things go wrong.

pi doesn’t know pip. Maybe in homeassistant from jinja2. So I left it outdated first. Very happy with python 3.6.3

Sorry, just updated my last post, should be within the venv now I think of it.

1 Like

This didn’t work for me.
File or directory doesn't exists.

:worried:

These commands also works well with Hassbian. Thank you so much. ^^

Which file doesn’t exist?

cd .homeassistant

I installed using the AIO when I started.

Try

cd ~/.homeassistant

That worked. But my homeassistant doesn’t start?

Give it a few minutes, it will need to install all the requirements and dependencies for your specific components.

You can check if the service is running by running

journalctl -f -u [email protected]

From your pi account and see the progress in the background.

It’s nothing in the logs and when I look in top it wont show up.

Are you using raspbian or hassbian? If you use one of these two and got struck on this last part below. That mean you already has .homeassistant_backup folder created. Therefore, just closed the existing ssh windows and open new one. Stop the home assistant first.
The homeassistant_backup file is located at root/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant_backup , So you can just copy the files inside .homeassistant_backup folder to .homeassistant folder. Then reboot

After reboot, it will takes a while longer than usual as we have ctrl+c during installation packages so it need sometime to install according to your backup files to homeassistant folder. (might be 5 mins or more).

deactivate
cd .homeassistant
rm *
cd …
mv .homeassistant_backup/* .homeassistant/
exit
sudo reboot