Z-NET Integration with HA

I got a home-seer znet set up. How to you add z wave devices to znet from home assistant?

I added a serial port to my HAOS running on proxmox and installed the Z-Wave JS plugin, under options there are radio buttons to select different devices but my znet running ser2net is on my network.

Where do I enter the IP address?

You can’t use the Z-Wave JS add-on for TCP serial ports, you must use Z-Wave JS UI.

1 Like

Thanks @freshcoast , I didn’t realize there were two similarly named add-ons. I’m new to Home assistant and still learning.

Hi Frank
I am also looking and testing transferring to HA from HS, I like HS but I feel they are not following the parade but that is my feeling.
That being said, I have 3 Z-net connected to HS and I would like to test the overall devices transfered over to HA and see the efficiency.
I have been able quite easily to transfer my House main Z-net to HA Z-wave JS UI Add On but I would appreciate a lot if you could share/ provide instructions on how you did the clean install of Z-wave JS UI on your Z-net and then how you connected them all to HA
As I will be doing thios as a test and will switch back and forth from, HA to HS, are the modified Z-net still able to connect to HS4 Z-wave plugin ?
Thanks for sharing

Found part my answer, I have foud how to install Z_wave-js-ui on RPI 4 and got Z-Wave-js-ui to connect to a Nortek HUSBZB-1 stick:

Questions now: would that method work on a genuine Z-net PI ? What would be the serial port to use in this case ?

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/install-and-setup-zwave-js-ui-with-snap-on-a-raspberry-pi/486484

HA newbie here. Trying to switch from homeseer…I have 4 znet G3 in place. Got the main one working fine in HA using these instructions. Now trying to figure how to get the other 3 onto the network. Are the instructions for running the zwave-JS UI on the ZNET available anywhere?
Thanks,
Shaun

1 Like

You’ll find how I have been able to get Z-Wave-JS-UI on a Z-net (Rpi 3b with Ezzee card) on the following link
Running Z-Wave-JS-UI on a Z-Net

1 Like

Here is my implementation of the LED status light on the Z-net board:
ZWave-JS-UI status via Z-NET LED

I want to switch from HS4 to HA and would like to keep my Znets if possible. I have tried to follow this article, which is great, but I am stuck at step #7.

I did some troubleshooting had I assume this is my issue, but I don’t know how to fix it. When I do a Telnet to the ZNet, I get this error. “Port already in use. Connection Lost”

I have disabled the Znet in HS4, tested multiple time, but the same error. Could this be causing my ZNet not to connect to Home Assistant?

Thanks!

HS 4 Error 4

Getting Closer!

1. The connection is lost issue was due to the Znet still being connected to the HS4 Console. I disabled the Interface in HS4 and then had the ZNet reboot. Waited for the red light and was able to connect to the ZNet with Zwave UI.

Next issue now is with the Encryption Keys that HS4 shows. They are not 32 characters for the S2 Unauthenticated or S2 Access Key.

HS4 removes leading zeros in the key. This solved the issues

I think I am onto the final step. I cannot get a connection to the WS address with the Zwave.

1. Navigate to Settings > Devices & Services, then click the ADD INTEGRATION button and select Z-Wave.

I get connection failed. What could be causing this?

I was able to get this sorted. It was the issue of putting the WS address in multiple locations. (Hope this can help someone else out)

@mterry63 - I am looking to do the same as you with two ZNet devices. Are you able to point me in the right direction to set up the second ZNet device with Home Assistant? I have one working with Zwave JS UI, but not sure where to configure the second ZNet. TIA!

With 2 Z-Nets you would need 2 instances of Z-wave-JS UI (ideally). You could use 1 Z-wave-JS UI and 1 Z-wave JS, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

This post Zwave-JS-UI on Znet via docker - Configuration / Z-Wave - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io) shows how to run Z-wave-JS UI directly on the Z-Net. If I were to add a second Z-Net I would go this route. Then you can add a second Z-wave integration and point it directly at the Z-net. If you did this on both Z-Nets you can eliminate the Z-Wave-JS UI Addon.

Not for the faint of heart, but if you’re reasonably technical these are step by step directions. @goldriver has posted here and the HomeSeer forum on how to get this running.

If you copy your Z-Net image before starting it should be to recover back to square 1.

Maybe someone can make an image and host it of these mods.

Thanks! I am technical enough to put Zwave-JS UI on the Znet and will check this out!

My HA is a VM with one Znet in the same location and anther remote.

1. Do I just transfer one Znet to a USB stick and run the other from the remote location?
  2. Try to add another Zwave-JS UI - Which I am googling to see how feesable this is in AH.
  3. As you stated, add Zwave-JS UI to the Znet.

I was leaning toward the multiple Zwave-JS UI, but feel now the USB stick might be a better path.

A USB stick doesn’t solve the problem, you still need 2 copies of Z-Wave-JS UI to run 2 Z-Wave Networks whether they are Z-Net or standard USB. 99% of Home Assistant users don’t have multiple Z-Wave networks. It can be done, but there won’t be a lot of examples.

You need 2 of each:

Z-Wave-JS Integration ↔ Z-wave-JS-UI (Docker is a good choice) ↔ Z-Wave Hardware Controller

Home Assistant natively supports multiple Integrations (Note the Add Hub button)

Home Assistant doesn’t support 2 Z-Wave-JS-UI Addons out of the box. You can run an addon and an external copy of Z-Wave-JS UI (Like on the Z-Net) or it could be on another host, lots of choices.

Of course, each instance of Z-Wave-JS UI only supports 1 Z-wave hardware device, whether it be a USB based controller or the EZee Pi HAT in the Z-Net.

Setting up multiple Z-Wave Networks is simple. You just need to do 5 things.

1. Install a second copy of Z-Wave JS UI.
  2. Enable the websocket server in the settings.
  3. If your new install is on the same subnet as your home assistant install it will automatically show up in the integration settings. The home id displayed when you hover over the information icon in the top right corner of Z-Wave JS UI is the same one that will be displayed in home assistant.
  4. Click configure to set it up.
  5. Every network you create will have a default name of Z-Wave JS so I recommend to rename it to something more descriptive.

brave_screenshot (18)

brave_screenshot (17)

Thanks @cornellrwilliams. I am struggling how to do step 12c 1. Install a second copy of Z-Wave JS UI.

I cannot do this through HA under Settings | Add-Ons. Any links on how to do this? Can I configure this in YAML?

I get what to do if I can get the second Zwave-JS UI into HA.

You need to go to:

Settings/Devices & Services/ Z-Wave then press the ‘ADD HUB’

It makes sense, @goldriver , but forgive my additional questions. I am not connecting the dots on the two Zwave-JS UI and 2 Znets since it seems I need two unique WebSockets Addresses.

In ZWave-JS UI I can only configure one Zwave device via the Serial Port

Then, when I add a new hub, I cannot add the other Znet because it is not USB and requires a Serial to TCP connection, which I believe I can only do with Zwave-JS UI, which gives me a WS address for the additional Zwave Hub.

When I moved from Vera to HS4, I did this because HS supported multiple Zwave Environments in one UI, and I thought the ZNets, being IP-based, would be better between locations for flexibility in centrally locating the Zwave sticks. My locations are close (within 200’ of each other), and I wonder if one Zwave environment would be better now.

I am trying to determine if two Zwave environments are custom in HA (it seems not); however, two Zwave-JS UIs seem to be my current issue. Since the ZNets are IP-based, from my reading, I must have a Zwave-JS UI as the front end for each.

My dilemma is: Should I abandon the Znets and move to ZooZ 800 or keep them? I am trying to keep the Znets, but I cannot figure out how to get the second Znet into HA.

I hope this makes sense, and your help is appreciated!

In Z-Wave JS UI you enter the TCP IP address of the Z-NET the in Home Assistant you enter the websocket address of of your Z-Wave JS UI Install.