Z-wave and aeotec s-stick Gen5+

No that is the zwavejs config. What is the config you use to run docker or the docker run command.

Ah ok, sorry, maybe I don’t understand the question.
I use the “Container Manager” package in the synology DS 220+
what additional information can I give?

I saw that it is necessary to modify the configuration.yaml file to be able to access the HA supervisor, but it is impossible for me to find this file…
I have HA Core 2023.7.3-22 installed on the synology and there is no “Supervisor” in the menu !

The configuration you have in container manager. Select it and export it, post the XMl. Or post screen shots of the configuration screens.

I can’t find a configuration for the container manager.
here is a screenshot of the container manager

Perhaps click on a container and press details?

yes, this is possible, here it is for zwavejs-zwave-js-ui:

an idea ?

That is 1 screen of 4, how about the other 3

yes, In Statistics there are only 3 graphs for CPU, RAM and Network, and information on “process”

In log, it is the following repetition :

and in Settings :

The configuration is incomplete. You should be adding a folder mapping to store the zwave configuration. If you don’t do this, your config will be wiped out everytime you get a new image. Create a folder in the Synology docker folder, name it zwave then map it to

/usr/src/app/store

You should also be setting the TZ environment variable to your time zone, for example

America/New_York

That said, none of these issues should prevent it from opening the serial port, but who knows. Make those changes, restart the container and then reconfigure it to use the stick /dev/ttyACM0

If it still doesn’t work, shutdown the container, ssh into the NAS and do the following

sudo -i

ls -l /dev/ttyACM0

cat < /dev/ttyACM0

And provide the command output. The ls command will tell us that the device exists and its permissions. The cat command will attempt to open the device and read from it. If it is successful it will return nothing (hit ctrl-c to exit), it it fails that means the device is not readable. If it doesn’t work from ssh it will not work from docker.

Thank PeteRage,
I followed your advice :

and here is the result in Putty :

but the result remains that it is still impossible to add Z-wave integration to HA.
I guess there is no solution then, too bad :-/

For now, the only solution is to use the Aeotec key with my PC and Domoticz. But this PC is not on all the time.
Another solution to add a Raspberry Pi4 to put the key in it (I saw positive comments for this online)

EDIT : ah, one change all the same now : I was able to save the z-wave-js-ui setup without the “Driver” error appearing :

And still in the z-wave-js-ui, I now see the aeotec key

Looks like you are almost there. The last change is to map port 3000. In the Config above where you have port 8091 mapped, do the same for port 3000. That will allow HA to connect.

1 Like

Yes !
Many thanks PeteRage,
now I was able to add the “z-wave” without an error message! And I can see the Aeotec key as well as the Aeotec power consumption measurement module.
You reconciled me with HA :slight_smile:

Now it remains to compose a display of the data in the DashBoard… I don’t know HA well, so I will study how to make a correct presentation of the data.

Many thanks again for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent news glad we got you online.

I’m experiencing the same issue on a virtual machine hosted on a Proxmox server. This problem appears to occur every time there’s an update in Z-Wave JS, and I had the auto-update add-in feature enabled.

To restore the functionality of the Aeotec stick, I follow these steps:

1. Shutdown the Home Assistant VM.
  2. Restart the Proxmox server.
  3. Restart the Home Assistant VM (I have auto-restart enabled for the VM in Proxmox).

Today, I disabled the “Auto update” for the Z-Wave JS UI within the Home Assistant add-in. I’m uncertain whether this action is sufficient because there may be other automatic updates within the add-in (maybe such as driver updates). Time will tell if this resolves the issue.

This behavior has been quite annoying and began occurring since the Home Assistant updates in September.

Home Assistant is a fantastic solution, but I’m really frustrated with how updates often break my configuration. I end up spending several hours after each monthly update to fix numerous issues, and many of these problems aren’t even mentioned in the breaking changes section.

You do not have to update every month. I update every 3-4 months and then to a .3 or .4 release and only after reviewing these forums for issues. I do this when I have a good free time window and am not planning on taking an extended leave from the house.

I clone the system before hand so that if it doesn’t work, reverting is a 5 minute effort.

1 Like

I update every 3-4 months and then to a .3 or .4 release and only after reviewing these forums for issues

I initially used that strategy, but I soon realized it’s more of a hassle, especially when there’s a significant gap between versions. Components are interdependent, and furthermore, if you want a bug fix, you have to update. Then you might end up breaking something else until a fix is available, and you have to update again, creating a never-ending cycle. :sweat_smile:

In my specific case, I have a total of around 300 devices from various brands (approximately 70 Z-Wave, 60 Zigbee,170 other connected devices, and ~25 dashboards) resulting in more than 5,000 entities across two sites (both of which are under alarm). Most of my devices are interdependent, meaning if one isn’t operating correctly, it triggers a cascade of issues with others. I’ve had constant red logs that I haven’t been able to fix for the past 1.5 years. Anyway, I’m fully aware that it’s all part of the game, but it can be quite frustrating. :blush:

I clone the system before hand so that if it doesn’t work, reverting is a 5 minute effort.

I have a virtualized environment, and I use automatic snapshots every night, which is fine for restoring a system that’s completely broken. I’ve needed to restore it completely three times since January. However, when you need to reboot the hypervisor to resolve an issue (simply rebooting the Home Assistant VM is not sufficient), it becomes more of a hassle because I have to stop my other VMs, such as firewalls and business servers. Usually, Z-Wave updates are not very frequent, but they seem to have become more active in recent months.

Anyway, once again, it’s frustrating because, in my mind, home automation needs to be reliable, and once it’s working, it should be a ‘set and forget’ kind of situation. Like in some other platforms, there should really be a stable channel (only including important fixes and security updates for people who want stability) and a nightly channel (for those who are eager for new features).

@PeteRage I am having the same issue as @JLT was except I am running HA in VMM. Somehow DSM got updated to 7 and now I dont have ZWave.

The Aeotec Gen 5 stick is set up to pass through but HA isnt able to see it.

Any advice is appreciated.

I don’t run using a VM so don’t have alot of experience with your setup. Lots of people have been having problems running VMs and the solution has been to disable soft resets on the stick - so give that a try. Also I’d completely shut everything down, disconnect power, disconnect the stick and start back up. I’ve also read that you may need firmware version 1.2 on the gen5 stick for it to work with VMs. Upgrading the firmware has caused some people to lose their network - so I’d proceed cautiously before doing that.

2 Likes

Thanks for the guidance. The soft reset didn’t work so I powered everything down, rebooted, and plugged everything in one at a time verifying their functionality before moving on. I only had to exclude and re-pair two ZWaze devices.

Hi,
I’m stuck again with Z-wave for Aeotec key recognition :frowning:
HA supervisor 2024.03.1, core 2024.4.0 installed on a NAS VM.
(ip address …1.31).
On DSM 7 (ip…1.125) I see the key in system and also in zwave js ui
Is there anything to check for using this key on a VM?
(I applied the advice above but without success this time)

Edit :

It’s OK :wink:

for your information the solution is there :

Plug your dongle into Synology.
Access your VM machine and choose in the left column: ‘Virtual machine’
In the top bar choose: ‘Action’
In the action choose: ‘Modify’
In the pop-up screen, choose the tab: ‘Other’.
Then scroll down and find “USB Device”.
Click the “+” sign next to it and select the dongle you just inserted.
press OK

found there:

thanks everyone :slight_smile: