Z-Wave associations, e.g. for Leviton VRCZ4 4-button controller

I would really appreciate any support for a Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z 4-button scene controller in the Z-Wave JS implementation in Home Assistant. I can add the device but the HA device configuration page does not give any way to associate other entities with any of the 4 buttons like I could with the old HA Classic Z-Wave driver. J-Wave JS creator Al Calzone says that his driver supports associations so it is up to the HA app to add the human interface, e.g. a control panel. Some users say that this can be done with zwavejs2mqtt but I have not succeeded and this method is too complicated and presents too much opportunity to create a server conflict.

There is no way it can create a conflict. I assume you are using HaOS. you use the zwavejs2mqtt addon instead of the zwavejs addon. With the HA Server enabled it uses the zwavejs Integration just like the other addon. You cannot use both addons together but there is no need to do that anyway,.

It is possible to do the direct associations via the ZwaveJS UI (aka zwavejs2mqtt) but my experience with 3 of these controllers hasn’t been great - I have set the proper associations on the control panel but there seems to be a 12 second lag on every button press before the associated devices respond - I haven’t had the time to debug this but previously, the devices were on a VeraPlus but I used an old ControlThink USB stick and the ControlThink software (think 2007!) as a secondary controller to program the controllers and they were instantaneous - but when I switched the primary controller to a SiLabs UZB-7 stick, everything transferred over but the delays started… Now that the UZB-7 is primary, the ControlThink software won’t let me configure the controllers anymore and setting the direct associations on the ZwaveJS UI control panel works but the behavior is not optimal. Will post more as I have time to debug this… Luckily, none of these controllers are in heavy-use locations…