Z-Wave associations with Leviton dimmers

I have a lot of Leviton DZ6HD dimmers in my house, with multiple dimmers in some rooms; I want to control all the lights in a room with one switch.

I was a HomeSeer user for 10 years prior to switching to HA; I wrote a script to handle this in HS, but would prefer ZW associations this time around. I cannot get ZW associations working - any assistance appreciated.

Two dimmers a few feet apart, and both within ten feet of the controller. Both devices have the same firmware (1.22 - current) and security (none).

The DZ6HD manual association section:

Add an association from the bathroom light (node 60) to the great room light (node 61):

Appears successful in the log

The association is shown in node 60

Nothing happens with the opposing light when I change the light (app or physical):

I tried adding bi-directional associations, with the same non-response.

I also tried the same procedures with another set of switches in close proximity to the controller without effect.

Isn’t this a question for Leviton?

Controlling all the lights in a room with one switch is fairly trivial with a Home Assistant automation. Until your question I have never heard of anyone using Z-Wave associations.

Read the description of the group again a bit more closely:

All nodes in the association group receive notification of status changes

In other words, this groups is meant for Controllers (hence why it’s the “Lifeline” group) to receive status updates. There are no control commands being sent, therefore you can’t control other devices with that group.

Supporting devices usually have one or more (non-Lifeline) groups dedicated to controlling other devices. See for example a Zooz ZEN72.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response and pointing in the right direction.

I have a very large z-wave network, and setting light levels by HA automations often lags the button presses by several seconds - it is very noticeable and annoying, especially when using the dimmer function.

The new ZW6HD (Leviton’s 800 series replacement for the DZ6HD) includes association groups with SET classes - it should be possible to create local associations with the ZW6HD.