Z-Wave Barrier Works Using ozwcp but Is Unrecognized in hass

tld; How does one get a “barrier” device working in a virtual-environment install of Home Assistant?

I am running vanilla ubuntu server with hass installed in a virtual environment.

I have a Linear GD00Z-4 Garage Door Opener. A “Barrier” device in Z-Wave Parlance.

I installed home-assistant but the device didn’t work. I installed the open-zwave control panel but the device still didn’t seem to be recognized properly. I dig some digging and realized I had to compile a custom version of libopenzwave as version 1.5 doesn’t support Barriers.

I discovered that hass’s branch of openzwave does cherrypick in barrier support, so I cloned that, built it, and installed it (first switching to the “hass” branch). Once I did that, I rebuilt ozwcp from source, ran it, and, TADA! The garage door can be opened and closed.

So booted hass back up and… no luck. The device type is still unknown:

node name: Linear Unknown: type=4744, id=3530
manufacturer name: Linear
product name: Unknown: type=4744, id=3530
etc...

I’ve tried checking out hass’s branch of python-openzwave but that doesn’t seem to build properly. The output at the end is always:

Installed /home/hass/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/pyozwman-0.1.1-py3.6.egg
Processing dependencies for pyozwman==0.1.1
Searching for python_openzwave==0.1.1
Reading https://pypi.org/simple/python_openzwave/
No local packages or working download links found for python_openzwave==0.1.1
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('python_openzwave==0.1.1')
Makefile:225: recipe for target 'install-manager' failed
make: *** [install-manager] Error 1

How do I fix this?