I’m new to z-wave and just bought a bunch of 700 z-wave equipment from the smartest house. I bought their z-wave usb stick, 2 aeotec repeaters, a leak sensor, a door open sensor, 3 AC switches and a remote switch. What I found when getting up the first 5 devices wasn’t what I expected and I’m wondering if it’s normal?
- I had to include the new devices from right by the usb stick to get a complete and successful join with security. When in the same room the inclusion was very quick,
- The repeaters would join from where I ultimately wanted them but it was slow and it always failed to do so with any security. Even when plugged in relatively close to the basement room where the controller is.
- The water detector also wouldn’t successfully join with security if I did it where I wanted the sensor to be. Also not too far from the controller as the termite burrows.
- Joining by the controller and then moving to the desired location didn’t seem to cause issues - other than potentially not getting the network mesh set up - everything started connected directly to the controller.
- I’d got two repeaters since it had been a real pain to get Ring z-wave devices working across my 5 stories from basement to garage (I’m on a steep slope). But for the most part the two devices (water detector, open/close detector) didn’t seem to want to connect to the repeaters. So it kind of seems like the 700 promise of greater range is being realized. Except for my difficulties including devices.
- And in general the repeaters also seemed to strongly prefer directly connecting to the controller. At a couple of attempts early on they did daisy chain as I expected but more recently they’re both directly connecting to the controller - even the one that is now farther away in the garage.
- I did move a repeater this morning up to the corridor by the garage since the open/close sensor is on the freezer door in the garage and it wasn’t working reliably in a way that smelt like a range issue. After the move I see that the network finally has the devices using the repeaters - which was unexpected since I only tried to heal that one repeater. Up until now all my heal attempts (device level or for the entire network) achieved nothing.
- The open/close sensor is showing as connected to both repeaters. So z-wave is a full mesh and supports
more than one path back to the controller?
So right now I have everything seemingly working as I desire (except for the switches which I haven’t started on) but it was a confusing and frustrating journey.