Z-Wave choice

Hi

i am orientating for an Z-Wave function for HA on the Raspberry Pi 3b. i know there is a list of supported hardware: https://home-assistant.io/docs/z-wave/controllers/

But what are you guys suggesting, and experienced as working fine and stable.

I can choose for Aeontec, ZwaveMe or the GPIO module, or others? Or go with the GoControl Zwave/Zigbee combo?

Thanks

The Aeotec and the UZB stick from ZWave.me are both popular choices, I’ve personally got the Razberry GPIO module and am very happy with it. You won’t go wrong with any of those.

I know people have had issues with the combo sticks, but I don’t recall the details.

Can you use the harmony hub extender for zwave zigbee? It’s not on the list…

No. You can only use devices that directly connect to the computer - USB sticks or the GPIO module.

Is it more difficult to make the GPIO module work then the USB??
What needs to be done for making it work? or will it just work when you add it?
(sorry for stupid questions, but totaly new to raspberry :slight_smile:

No - I use the GPIO module myself.

There might be some steps needing done to make it work, but they’re covered in the documentation, should your particular install need them.

Hi.
Thanks for fast answer :slight_smile:
Sounds good, since i bought that one.

Is there any simpel way to see if the hardware is installed, and any install string to run
if you just want to install drivers for it and not the whole z-wave software pack from z-wave.me??
Have already installed Rasbian and home assistant an have it up and running, but just manage to talk to my phone and gonna by some z wave dimmers.

No drivers to install, nothing to worry about. Connect it up, follow the instructions in the documentation, and you should see a zwave.__ entity appear on the first start (which will take a while - maybe 30 minutes) after you enable zwave:.

A difference is that an usb version e.g. Aeontec has an Battery so adding zwave device can be done near the device itself

Which the documentation explicitly tells you not to do because it can cause problems.

Thanks for the info. but as i said, first time im trying to do something with my pi, and dont seems to find anything, and the help info for home assistant!! i let that one be for now :slight_smile:

I find hassio a good option if you want to use zwave. Its saves you quite some configuration and I think it will also in the future.