Since about 2022.8.5 (right around that build) I’ve been having a problem with my Thermostat. I’m running 2022.8.7 and z-wave js driver version 10.0.2. I can change the temp (I have some NodeRed rules based on motion sensors and such) and it works just perfectly. The temperature setting on the thermostat changes. But in Home Assistant it shows it’s set to some other value. It doesn’t seem to grab updates from the thermostat as to what the thermostat is set to (although the measured temperature is getting updated). This just started happening with a recent build and was working perfectly before. I’ve tried some of the basic stuff like rebooting my home assistant and thermostat and when it comes back up, the setting is always correct initially. But if I change the temp manually via home assistant for instance it will change it on the thermostat, but in the UI it will go back to its last setting even though on the thermostat itself it’s set to something different.
When I look in the logbook, I don’t see any logs with me changing the temp via home assistant (which is weird, I would think they’d be there), but if I look at the z-wave js logs I see that my request to change the temp is sent (and received):
I can also see in the logs when I change the temp from the thermostat itself that z-wave js is receiving the new setting and it does get updated in home assistant in that case. Not sure where to look as of this point. Any more info I can provide?
I’ve been experiencing very similar symptoms with my five-wire T6 too: the dashboard doesn’t reflect the thermostat’s complete state – including mode changes between heat and cool – and my daily automations don’t seem able to set the temperature reliably.
Subjectively these issues appear to have started a week ago, and my initial assumption was that I’d been bitten by the 700 series mesh-flood bug. I tried to update my Z-Wave hub to the recommended patch, but it failed repeatedly. The vendor (Zooz) has provided fantastic support, and I’m now in process for a warranty replacement.
But now I’m wondering if that’s really the problem. My other much-less-often-used Z-Wave devices seem not to have any problem.
I had applied the latest Home Assistant update the week before, which is not very coincident cause&effect timing-wise. But the logs do seem to indicate there was a Z-Wave JS update overnight before I first saw the problem. The two further Z-Wave JS updates since have not improved it any – I’m now at 10.0.3.
I don not use NodeRed, my Home Assistant does all the thermostat heavy lifting directly. I have not done the deep dive into the Z-Wave logs as you have, but will try to soon.
A little bit unrelated but recently I am seeing the temperature on my T6 display being different from the temperature in HA. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours or more to get the entity update in HA while it is updated on the device display. It drives me nuts and is unreliable, I see the state stopped when the temperature in HA is way below the set point and if I go to the device, the display is displaying current temp as the set point !
Not sure if it makes a difference but the tstat is running on batteries (new batteries with 95%)
Anyone seeing this issue ?
You need to poll the T6 periodically, see this thread
I have also recently noticed an issue with the thermostat display, where instead of displaying temperature in the big font, sometime it displays the setpoint. For example, it may show 60 (as temp) and 60 as the setpoint. When it really should be showing 61 as the temp. After some period of time it reverts. So I suspect that sometime when setpoints come from zwave the display chooses to show the setpoint rather than the temperature until the temperature changes. I spent a couple of days on this and reached that conclusion. The good news is that the data in HA always seems to be correct - or at least once you poll it.
Transition duration is not a device setting. Setting it has absolutely no effect on temperature or humidity reporting. It’s meant for transition times when turning on/off dimmers and switches, and programming scene activation. Other poster is mistaken.
I’ve been running that script at /10 on 4 T6s for over a year with zero issues. I’ve also added a random delay of 0-60 seconds as the first step of the automation to avoid the polls hitting the zwave network simultaneously.