Z-wave Door/Window Sensor Aeotec 7

Hello,

I want to control my Z-wave Smart Switch 6 through my Z-wave Door/Window Sensor 7.
I wrote the followed automation:
-

So, as described in the screenshots, the goal is to turn my climate OFF through the Smart Switch if the door is opened.
But, even when my sensor gets changed there is no order between the Smart switch and the Sensor.
Except that i could monitor my switch from the dashboard without changing my Sensor’s state.
Have i done any error in my automation?

Please help me.

Your automation says the door has to be open for 30 seconds or more.

I would like to thank you for your response.
Unless, even in case i put it 00s, i get the same behaviour.
Is there any other note?

I use a sensor 7 pro to turn on a light when door is open. Trigger type is State, use binary sensor (e.g. binary_sensor.laundry_hallway_closet_door_access_control_window_door_is_open), and to is on. The action type is Call Service, service is light.turn_on and the target is the light entity.

Check your logs for errors.

How could i check the logs please?

When i use the entity binary_sensor to look for the choice i have.
I all i get is binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_sensor, this entity never changed from OFF even when i move the sensor, it’s always OFF.
There is sensor.door_window_sensor_access_control that changes whenever i move the sensor, but the value changes from 23 to 22 and i don’t get the meaning of those values.

The problem is with your sensor setup, then, not your automation.

If you look at the device in Home Assistant, what are the associated entities?

Here’s an example of mine - but this is a different device (Sensative Strips) so yours may look different.

Also, which integration/platform are you using to connect your zwave devices to Home Assistant?

I have plenty of those Aeotec Door Sensors. This access_control is what you need to use. 22 means open, 23 means closed. The binary sensor does not work with these.

You can easily write a template sensor to map these two values to a binary sensor, if you want.

Edit: this is what I use, as an example. This template is a bit more complicated to handle the 254 deep sleep this sensor sometimes report. I think that this is a bug in the OpenZWave 1.4 integration (which I still use), so it may or may not be needed with zwavejs anymore.

velux_chambre:
  friendly_name: "Velux Chambre"
  device_class: window
  value_template: >-
    {% if is_state('sensor.aeotec_velux_3_access_control', '254') %}
      {{ states('binary_sensor.velux_chambre') }}
    {% else %}
      {{ is_state('sensor.aeotec_velux_3_access_control', '22') }}
    {% endif %}

1 Like

FYI, for Z-Wave JS you don’t need these templates at all (OZW Beta too, FWIW), the integration creates binary sensors out of the notification values for you.

They don’t seem to work for the OP though:
‘I all i get is binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_sensor, this entity never changed from OFF even when i move the sensor, it’s always OFF.’ :man_shrugging:

I’m not sure how you can make that statement, we don’t even know which integration OP is using.

If this is the Z-Wave JS integration, than that binary sensor is not a notification sensor, because that’s not how they are named.

If this is the Sensor 7 Pro, then that binary sensor is a tilt sensor, not an open/close sensor.

Because that’s what he said ?

Anyway, I presented a way that is guaranteed to work. Up to the OP to use it or not.

The OP never said they were using Z-Wave JS, let’s get clarification before jumping to conclusions about what’s working and not working…

If using the deprecated zwave integration, certainly use the example template, which is also documented.

If using Z-Wave JS, then there’s no need to create a template sensor and we can figure out what’s exactly not working. As others have posted, this device works fine in this integration using the other entities that are created.

:man_facepalming:
Excuse me for trying to help with a solution that is guaranteed to work in his situation (considering his access_control entity has the expected values, while his binary sensor does not). Alright then. You guys have fun then troubleshooting this further without me.

I didn’t criticize anything about your solution. If you’re going to quote my replies I’d just prefer you don’t make things up.

Hello every body,
Thank you for your suggestions :slight_smile:
I could finally resolve the problem, So i add the followed configuration in file editor → /config/configuration.yaml:
binary_sensor:

• platform: template
    sensors:
    door_open:
    friendly_name: ‘Door Opened’
    value_template: ‘{{ is_state(“sensor.door_window_sensor_access_control”, “22”) }}’
    device_class: door
    entity_id: sensor.door_window_sensor_access_control

door_close:
    friendly_name: ‘Door Status’
    value_template: ‘{{ is_state(“sensor.door_window_sensor_access_control”, “23”) }}’
    device_class: door
    entity_id: sensor.door_window_sensor_access_control

door_motion:
    friendly_name: ‘Window Tilted’
    value_template: ‘{{ is_state(“sensor.door_window_sensor_burglar”, “8”) }}’
    entity_id: sensor.door_window_sensor_burglar

door_tamper:
    friendly_name: ‘Window Untitled’
    value_template: ‘{{ is_state(“sensor.door_window_sensor_burglar”, “3”) }}’
    entity_id: sensor.door_window_sensor_burglar

And that works great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I have bought one of these sensors. I am using “Z-Wave JS”. I don’t have an “…sensor_access_control” that changes from 23 to 22. I only have the following sensors

The only sensor that changes when I open the window is
“binary_sensor.bad_fenster_sensor_window_door_is_open_in_regular_position”
the sensor
“binary_sensor.bad_fenster_sensor_window_door_is_open”
never changes.
What is the difference between these two?

Thank you!

They are the same, but one indicates if the door is open in a regular position, and there is also if it’s open in a tilt position. The “is_open” one doesn’t work for your device because it is reporting the more detailed versions.

Technically, it is reporting “is open”, however the way the software is written, that sensor doesn’t currently work.

1 Like