Z-Wave enabled Ring devices (Keypad)

I’m not sure if this is the right category.
The Ring devices are Z-Wave certified (https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2668).
There are keypads, panic button, motion sensors, etc.

Would it be possible to use them with HA? They do not ship in me region (Quebec), therefore the price is quite high for me just for trying as I would need to buy them off ebay.

I found some implementation on GitHub (thanks to this forum) but they use the Ring hub, I would like to pair it directly with my Z-Wave USB/HA hub instead and avoid a proprietary box that connect to a third-party server.

Maybe this goes into the Hardware or Feature Request category though.

Would this be possible? Can any current owner run some tests?

Thanks for the heads-up. I have been looking for a motion sensor. I think I will try this one.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2664

I think it may be easy to setup with HA. I guess I’ll find out… :wink:

Oops. It is Z-Wave, not Z-Wave Plus :frowning: Actually, the data sheet contradicts itself (?)

On the z-wave website it says it’s z-wave plus. Also since it was released in 2018, it wouldn’t make much sense to make a unit not z-wave plus compliant.

https://www.z-wave.com/shop-z-wave-smart-home-products/smart-sensors-ring-ring-z-wave-plus-motion-detector

Oops Looking at the spec sheet on z-wavealliance it seems that you are right. It is not Z-Wave Plus compliant but it supports S2. The z-wave website state it’s Z-Wave Plus on the description. Your best bet would be to try it or contact the z-wave alliance.

Depending on your regions, you can try to buy it from amazon, their return policy is exceptional. Also, if you try it or any other ring products (without the official hub) can you please post here the progress, compatibility and issues you encounter?

And this is on the link I posted.

Like I stated. Inconsistent.

Maybe send them a message on Facebook or Twitter or ask a question on amazon. Also you could create a thread here and ask the community.

or wait until my detector arrives.

1 Like

:rofl: You can do that too

A little bit of progress with the Ring Motion Detector.

I guess OZW does not have full support. It may be usable though.

EDIT I found this for the device.
https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/944?layout=openzwave

It is definitely Z-Wave Plus.

The latest OZW database file on GitHub lists no Ring devices so they will all show up as unknown. :frowning:
The xml file from the z-wave alliance looks very useful though. It even has instructions for resetting the device.

1 Like

Nice maybe you can try and make it? You 'll be the first one making a Ring device compatible. Fishwaldo on Discord told me it was quite easy to make one… you need to play with the xml a little and test it though.

If you do this, try to make it not too buggy :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually added it to mine. The Z-Wave Alliance listing has the device specific xml. I now need to try to use the device.
If I get some free time I am considering adding several Ring devices to the official configuration. I do not know how often HASS updates their configuration though. I know 0.89.2 does not have the latest OZW configuration.

Actually the configuration settings appear to be missing. I need to research this further. The settings are documented on the alliance site.

Here is my latest progress.

OK, I got the proper config values showing now. I an upgrading from 0.90.2 to 0.91.1 before testing further.
I needed to make an xml file to get the configuration values. I plan on submitting the config changes to openzwave when I am satisfied. I may choose to add other ring devices too.

EDIT I think zwave blew up with 0.91.1 :rage:

1 Like

Just noticed the price on these is a fair bit more reasonable than other options in my area… Any update on them working in HA?

1 Like

I gave up on my Ring motion detector and was able to return it. I may have received a defective unit. I could see the burglar sensor when opened but could not get the motion sensor to trigger.

How do you set Ring devices in the mode where they can be added to HA? Usually after your Z-wave controller is set to include devices, you have to do something on the actual Z-Wave device.

Hi there,

I might alose be interested in buying the Ring keypad but I’d prefer to use it manually via HA.

Any news about OZW support ?

1 Like

yeah, they look nice. It would be fab if it was usable.