Z-Wave error 202: Failed to send the message after 3 attempts (ZW0202)

I have been adding my devices with no problem and was on the final two devices, GE Enbrighten Dimmers, when it seemed to lock up. I couldn’t pair anything, it kept timing out. I decided to heal my network since I had recently moved my server tower but since everything had worked fine I didn’t bother healing. Ever since then all zwave gives me an error, although the other integrations (Hue, etc.) work fine. I tried healing just the Zooz USB stick and says it heals fine but cannot issue commands. Not sure what to try next.

My error is

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/zwave_js/switch.py:78
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 6:49:32 PM (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 6:59:55 PM
[548126801680] Z-Wave error 202: Failed to send the message after 3 attempts (ZW0202)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 185, in handle_call_service
    await hass.services.async_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1495, in async_call
    task.result()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1530, in _execute_service
    await handler.job.target(service_call)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 213, in handle_service
    await self.hass.helpers.service.entity_service_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 667, in entity_service_call
    future.result()  # pop exception if have
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 863, in async_request_call
    await coro
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 704, in _handle_entity_call
    await result
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave_js/switch.py", line 78, in async_turn_on
    await self.info.node.async_set_value(self._target_value, True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zwave_js_server/model/node.py", line 449, in async_set_value
    result = await self.async_send_command(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zwave_js_server/model/node.py", line 406, in async_send_command
    result = await self.client.async_send_command(message, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zwave_js_server/client.py", line 79, in async_send_command
    return await future
zwave_js_server.exceptions.FailedZWaveCommand: Z-Wave error 202: Failed to send the message after 3 attempts (ZW0202)

Oddly enough, despite restarts of the entire server not working, restarting the HA Addons for Mosquito then ZWave JS had everything start working again. Wish I understood why.

4 Likes

Thank you! I had this same problem and initially chalked it up to some intermittent signal strength issues I’ve experienced. I was going nuts trying to fix it until I saw your post. I don’t have Mosquito, but restarting ZWave JS to MQTT did the trick for me.

Thank-you! I was going out of mind here!

Thank you. thought it would be enough to reboot the server. Your tip made my day.

Thank you very much - rebooting host didn’t fix it - but restarting zwavej22mqtt fixed it!

I had exactly the same problem with zwaveJS (e.g. not mqtt version) and a HA reboot did not fix it either. I simply reconfigured jwavejs which forced a restart, and the problem went away. This thread pointed me in the right direction. Thank you!

I finally bit the bullet a couple of days ago and migrated from the old zwave to zwaveJS. I only have one zwave device, a Conexis lock, which has been rock solid for a year or two now so I didn’t want to upgrade until I was forced to.

In the two days snce migrating to zwaveJS I’ve had this ‘Z-wave error 202’ three times. My lock doesn’t work when this happens. Restarting the z-waveJS add-on fixes it, but it’s a bit disappointing. My current plan is to get HA to restart it every night, but it would be better if it worked as well as the old zwave.

After 5 days of no issues I thought this had resolved itself somehow, but 5 days later I’ve just had my 4th instance of this Z-wave error 202 error. I’m starting to understand why some people with this lock are ditching the zwave module and going for the new Access module. It’s because they upgraded to zwaveJS :crazy_face:

Has anyone achieved any kind of permanent resolution to this? Is everyone affected by it using the Zooz ZST10 USB stick? I recently had to rebuild my HA installation and network, and in the process “upgraded” to the ZST10, and now I am running into this situation roughly every 8 hours. Restarting the Z-Wave JS addon fixes it, but it’s proving to be a real pain.

EDIT: Good news bad news. The good news is that this is a known issue which you can read about at 🚧 META-Issue: Problems with 700 series (healing, delays, neighbors, ...) 🚧 · Issue #3906 · zwave-js/node-zwave-js · GitHub, but the bad news is that it requires a firmware update that can only be done with a Windows PC, which I don’t currently have.

Hello,

I do still have sometimes the same error.
Aeotec gen 7 stick witch firmware 7.17.2
Not often, restart of the system clears the problem, but still no good…

Hello I’m totally new to HA but I’m facing same issue. How do I reboot the ZWave JS? Reloading it did not fix it.

I am having the same issue. I am running an Aeotec Z-stick 7 and when the issue started it was running firmware version 7.17.2. After several instances of this issue (and a restart does not seem to help), I upgraded within the last week to 7.20.2. Overall the system seems to behave about the same as it did on 7.17.2, no change to the issue.

I’ve yet to see any correlation between the jamming and Z-wave js ui operations at the time it is happening.

Aeotec Z-Stick 7, HA in docker on RPi4.

I’ve had this issue for quite a while, but recently a lot more frequent. So I updated the firmware a couple of weeks ago, from 7.17 to 7.20.2

Same shit though, perhaps even worse, getting a wee bit (over the top tap dancing) frustrated…

Unplugging the stick and replugging it is my goto solution, have to do it every day, some times two times a day. Maybe I can get my dog to do it randomly, but then I would have to get one of those z-wave controlled pet feeder…

Is there a bug report on this? Would it help to support the developer with money? Or dog treats?