Z-wave integration

Hello,
I had to install HA from scratch and I’m not sure if to install the old z-wave integration or the new z-wave js.
What do you think?

New. The old one is deprecated.

1 Like

I went with the new one.
There seem to have lots of disabled entities
for example

Did you check to see if your devices are supported in their database? If not, they can be added by opening an issue on their GitHub repo.

I have mostly Aeotec.
All devices are recognized with therr names and models, but they have some disabled entities.

I don’t wish to be presumptuous, but are you aware of the migration steps? If not, you likely need to rename entities when migrating.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zwave_js/#migrating-from-previous-z-wave-implementations

You should look here to see if your devices are supported. These are on the TBD list:

https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/issues/1600

FWIW, I think you’re making the right decision to migrate to the supported integration. It’ll be a little disorienting at first, but it’s been pretty stable for me.

1 Like

What is your concern about disabled entities? They’re disabled for a reason, because they aren’t needed by most users, only necessary for advanced use cases. Depending on the device, you’ll need to decide yourself whether the enabled sensors are not sufficient and if the disabled ones are useful.

The example in this screenshot isn’t a great one, since it shows only a single disabled entity. That one is created for every node and provides the node status (hence the name): sleeping, awake, dead, alive, unknown. The thought is that most users won’t need, so it’s disabled by default.

This one is for everspring door/window.
What you’re saying is that they are disabled automatically?

Yes, they are disabled by default by the integration.

For example, most people don’t need “alarmlevel” and “alarmtype” because the functionality is represented with other entities. It really depends on the device though, so you may or may not need to enable those.

1 Like

Just to clarify…

if you think you need one of the disabled entities all you need to do is to select it and then re-enable if from that pop up window.

But if the device should be providing an entity that isn’t even listed (enabled nor disabled) then that would require an issue submission to get it added to the device config.

1 Like

Hi All,
I get this error from Z-Wave JS

Z-Wave error ZWaveError: The driver is not ready or has been destroyed
    at Driver.ensureReady (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:1433:10)
    at Driver.sendMessage (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:2399:8)
    at Driver.sendCommand (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:2607:28)
    at Driver.trySendCommandSupervised (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:2702:15)
    at MultilevelSwitchCCAPI.set (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/commandclass/MultilevelSwitchCC.ts:173:47)
    at Proxy.MultilevelSwitchCCAPI.<computed> (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/commandclass/MultilevelSwitchCC.ts:323:33)
    at ZWaveNode.setValue (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/node/Node.ts:770:14)
    at Function.handle (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/node/message_handler.js:19:44)
    at Object.node (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:38:91)
    at Client.receiveMessage (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:93:99) {
  code: 8,
  context: undefined,
  transactionSource: undefined
}

Hi,
I looked aeotec multisensor and it seems that the disabled entities have matches in the enabled entities.

For example:
disabled one: sensor.multisensor_6_home_security_cover_status
enabled one: binary_sensor.multisensor_6_home_security_tampering_product_cover_removed

Do you think this is a side effect of the new integration?

Not sure what you mean by “side effect”, but you can’t directly compare the z-wave integrations to each other, they are different. In this case the disabled sensor can have multiple values and provides the raw Z-Wave values for the corresponding notification type, the binary sensor provides on/off values and is a translation of the raw values.