Z-Wave JS to Z-Wave JS UI migration

Is there instructions or information on how to migrate the Z-Wave JS addon in Home Assistant to a stand alone Z-Wave JS UI setup?

my current configuration is as follow

I have a Raspberry Pi on the middle of my home with the USB Z-wave stick on it, and the Raspberry Pi is running USBIP service

my current Home Assistant instance is running on a Debian 11 VM running in supervised mode and is also running USBIP as a client, that is connected to the Raspberry Pi and passes thru the USB and the VM thinks that is a local USB

but now I would like to just run the Z-Wave JS UI docker container in the Raspberry Pi and then have Home Assistant just integrate to that container and complete remove USBIP out of the equation

The reason for this, is that I ultimately will my HA instance running un Kubernetes and USBIP is my current blocker

I’m also thinking that maybe I will have to remove all my Z-wave devices and start fresh, but I was trying to prevent that

any info would be greatly appreciated

Just follow the instructions in the official docs and use your external WS URL instead of the add-on URL.

If you want to avoid re-interviewing devices, you can download a backup of the add-on, extract the *.jsonl files, and populate them in your ZUI volume.

Z-Wave JS also supports TCP serial ports, natively. Only accessible via the ZUI add-on.

1 Like

So was able to Raspberry Pi with Z-Wave JS UI, and adding the keys from the addon did the trick for Z-Wave JS UI to recognize the USB stick and all the paired devices,

now I’m stuck in step 4 of the instructions you posted, and when adding the Z-Wave integration, I uncheck the “Use the Z-Wave JS Supervisor add-on” ,

when I put the Raspberry Pi pi “ws://rapberry.ip:3000” I get “Failed to connect” and I can’t figure out why, no error message

I checked Raspberry Pi and did " lsof -i -P -n | grep LISTEN" and I can see that port 3000 is open

so now I’m trying to figure out why it can’t connect

1. Make sure you actually enabled the WS server by following the minimum setting instructions: https://zwave-js.github.io/zwave-js-ui/#/getting-started/quick-start?id=minimum-settings
  2. If using Docker and HA is on a separate host, the container must expose the WS server port
  3. ZUI must be running and the driver loaded successfully
  4. Make sure there is no firewall blocking the port.
  5. Make sure the IP address is correct, or a host name is resolved to the correct IP address.

Awesome, thank you very much, all I was missing was step 6 of the quick start guide, thank you very much again!

I just made the migration from the old Z-Wave (not MQTT) to the very latest version. I had been avoiding that as it seemed I wasn’t missing any capabilities and it seemed a true headache until this weekend when I just decided I would go for it!).

What a pleasant surprise and unexpected non-complicated thing!

I run my Pi using just the SD and since I already had a backup SD sitting around I simply burned the latest HS version to that (and what a cool new burner HA has produced - another gem I discovered. These folks really are on the ball with this stuff!)

The system booted perfectly and I just got the current Z-Wave add-on (and apparently there is now only that 1 to use so no more confusion there as well).

I entered my auth keys (copied to notepad file and checked a screen shot of the prior UI to make sure the correct fields were populated properly) and off it went. It found my devices (on my Zooz S2 stick), no re-binding required, and I’m off to using the very latest versions of HA and Z-Wave interface.

I dare say it could not have been ANY easier.

how did you configure this? i cant get it working