Z-Wave JS vs./with Z-Wave JS UI

I’m a bit confused regarding Z-Wave JS (official HA add-on) vs. the Z-Wave JS UI (community add-on).

First of all, based on the naming, it would appear (in my mind at least) that the UI add-on is a companion to the non-UI add-on. But that doesn’t appear to be the case.
After some experimentation it seems that they’re either/or components. If the community add-on starts first then the official one doesn’t “see” the devices and vice-versa.

The official one seems to be better integrated with the rest of the HA and appears, like everything else, in the integrations, while the community version doesn’t. But community version seems to offer more control over the devices themselves.

I hope that the above summarizes the situation accurately. Because my questions result from above description:

• What are functional differences (which one is better :slight_smile:)?
  • Is there a way to run both at the same time and have them “see” and operate the same Z-Wave devices?
  • If simultaneous operation is not possible, does it make sense to normally run the official version and on occasion switch over to the UI version if some advanced config would be needed? Or would that risk messing up things?
1 Like
  • I personally don’t use add-ons But I use the docker equivalent if zwavejs-ui. It gives a better control panel and user interface. So I think it’s better.

• no you can’t run them simultaneously

• no it doesn’t make sense. Switching isn’t hard but it’s not trivial either. Just run zwavejs-ui if you think you might need the better control panel. There’s no downside that I can think of. Or if you don’t need the control panel and the HA biult-in control panel is adequate then run the official add-on.

2 Likes

Second everything @finity says with one additional note.

This one single tool in ZWaveJSUI makes it worth it alone…

1 Like

Zwavejs is functional backend control for zwave network

ZwavejsUI is zwavejs + a web ui to interface with zwavejs

HA provides a UI to zwavejs but zwavejsui is better interface in my opinion. You should only use zwavejs or zwavejsui but not both

2 Likes

Thanks a lot.
That makes sense. I wish this exclusivity between the two plugins would be explained in a clearer manner.

1 Like

only when it works :rofl:

I’m stuck on a very old version of my controller firmware and cannot do an NVM backup/restore because of it. EDIT: (I also can’t update my controller firmware :tada:, my only recourse is to redo my entire network…)

So… if you have a 500 series z stick circa 2015, you don’t get this benefit.

Ok except if you’re @petro… Otherwise it’s magic. :rofl:

3 Likes

FYI (and for anyone else), there are FAQs in the integration docs for those exact questions. If you have ideas for making the docs clearer, anyone can submit updates.

Tried messing with it but didn’t want to get too deep into another rabbithole so I abandoned it. Isn’t it just zwave2mqtt renamed?

Yes it tis

Man I’m glad I’m not the only one. I struggled to figure out how to use both of them for a few hours, then gave up. The documentation is still unclear even almost a year after this initial post was made.

I was running both. I deletes zwave and left the ui version. How do you get the devices/entities to show up in Hassio?

so if I have a zw090 Gen5 Controller there is no way to backup the config from the stick with zwaveJS UI?

No, unless you are able to upgrade to the firmware to 1.02 (1.2). https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000252294-z-stick-gen5-v1-02-firmware-update

Old revisions cannot be upgraded.

Z-Stick Gen5 (production date 2018 or later, the update simply will not work on much older hardware versions).

Alright, thank you !
How to check the production date?
I bought mine 2022.

A Gen5 in 2022? Are you sure it’s not a Gen5+? What’s the current version? As for the answer, you’ll probably have to ask Aeotec.

I have this one here:
Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 | USB Stick mit eingebauter Batterie | Z-Wave Plus | Smart Home | Kompatibel mit Raspberry Pi 4 oder älteren Versionen: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

With FW 1.1

So, if there is no NVM for me on z-waveJS UI, I guess there is no way of creating the network all over again for upgrading to a z-wave 700 (or if the stick is broken)?

The original Z-Stick came with fw v1.0. If you have v1.1, my guess is that it’s a newer model that can upgrade. But again, Aeotec support would be the best place to confirm that.

For NVM backup and restore to another series (700 and 800) using Z-Wave JS UI, what matters is the Z-Wave SDK version. The minimum SDK version required is 6.61. The original Z-Stick with fw 1.0 has 6.51, so that’s too old. Not sure what the 1.1 version has, you can look in the driver debug logs to find out, or switch to Z-Wave JS UI and it will tell you.

With the old SDK version you can use the Aeotec tool to backup and restore but only to another Gen5 stick.

There is another method to move networks using the PC Controller software controller and adding a secondary controller. It’s much more work but doesn’t require NVM backup and restore. I don’t have the link handy but a video is available in another topic here in the forums.

1 Like

You can upgrade the firmware to 1.2.

The way I recommend doing this is:

• buy a new Gen 5 stick
  • upgrade it to 1.2 (if it’s not already at 1.2) using the Aoetec fw upgrade tool
  • backup the 1.1 stick using Aoetec tool
  • restore backup to 1.2 stick using Aeotec tool
  • use that 1.2 stick in HASS and verify all your devices come up,

Once confirmed. Then you can upgrade the 1.1 stick to 1,2, take a backup from the 1.2 stick using Aeotec tool and restore to the new 1.2 stick. Now you have 2 identical sticks on 1.2

Using the above approach if the upgrade fails and bricks the stick. You will always have a working stick to go back to. While I’ve done this several times without bricking the stick others have not been so fortunate.

1 Like

Thank you for this suggestion.
That’s a good approach! :slight_smile: