Z-Wave Long Range Now Working in Z-Wave JS UI v9.10.0

I just upgraded to Z-Wave JS UI v9.10.0 and I am able to use Z-Wave Long Range. It works using my 700 series controller and my 800 series controller. Any device included in Long Range mode can NOT act as a repeater in your mesh network.

To get it to work you need to do 3 things.

1. Go into settings and generate your Z-Wave Long Range Security Keys
  2. Scan your QR Code
  3. On the protocol column of the smart start page you will see a Z-Wave Button. Click the button to switch to Z-Wave Long Range.
  4. Toggle the active button(it should be blue)_and the device will automatically join the network.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 10-21-22 Z-Wave JS UI
brave_screenshot (29)

3 Likes

Thanks for the update @cornellrwilliams

Good to know about an LR mode v. repeating. I suspect that’s going to be a Faq item.

Thanks Cornell!

Any device included in Long Range mode can NOT act as a repeater in your mesh network.

Just to clarify, this is why zwave-js-ui shows the devices as “beaming unsupported”?

I believe so. From the documentation it says “The singlecast is routed to the end node through the repeater. The repeater Beams to the Frequent Listening Node and then sends the routed singlecast.”
Also Long Range devices use a different frequency from the mesh devices.

1 Like

So excited for this, upgraded all of our hardware to Zoom 800LR and just been waiting. Is there a way to either default it to LR or to make it not automatically complete the inclusion after scanning the QR code? I don’t seem to be able to click the button fast enough to switch it to z-wave LR.

1 Like

In the smartstart page after scanning a qr code, the toggle for “active” should be off meaning the node won’t be added until its toggled on. Click the blue z-wave button and it should move to LR mode.

After:

Then power on your device and you should be good to go. I found re-pairing existing powered nodes would automatically join after a short period if they were already on and you just finished an exclusion or factory reset.

1 Like

Hrm, trying on a ZEN04 800LR and it’s not getting added automatically after plugging in. Wondering if the switch doesn’t have 800LR enabled yet in the firmware or something…

1 Like

I have a Zen04 800LR in LR mode. However I did update it to FW v2.20.1 SDK v7.19.3 on Z-Wave and then re-paired it on LR.

If you already have the smart start entry enabled. Exclude the device and it should automatically join.

I’ll have to try it closer to the controller to see if it’s a frequency/distance thing, nothing working so far.

I was just about to give up on Z-Wave Long Range because everything I read said it doesn’t work. If I purchase a Home Assistant Green, and get Z-Wave JS UI v9.10.0 on it, should Z-Wave Long Range work using a Zooz ZST39 LR long range stick? I want to use it with a Zooz 800 Series Z-Wave long range XS Open | Close sensor ZSE41 800LR

I have all of that, though my 800 series zooz devices are all switches but otherwise hardware/software is the same. I haven’t gotten it to work but I am sure I am doing something wrong, it should work.

You also need to make sure your controller RF Region is set to USA (Long Range) not USA. It can be configured persistently in the Z-Wave settings page, or you can program it manually in the control panel.

A future version of Z-Wave JS will set LR region automatically for US.

3 Likes

You need to scan the QR Code from the Smart Start Page and NOT from the control panel. When you scan from the control panel it will automatically try to add the device to the network.

With that change I’ve been able to provision as 800 LR, thank you so much!

1 Like

Now that we can enable LR, the question is when should we? What is the advice / recommendation about this feature? Is this something that everyone should enable if possible, or should the LR capability be targeted to specific use cases? Can I mix and match newer devices that support LR with older ones that don’t in the same mesh, or would I need two different controller sticks for that?

Any general considerations from the experts would be much appreciated!

LR and Mesh can be used together. If you need repeaters, e.g. for non-LR devices, don’t include as LR. Seems best for battery devices.

1 Like

Got one of my 800 LR contact sensors setup and successfully included as a long range device. However, I am not getting very good range at all. I have it setup at my mailbox which is about 70 feet from the coordinator. Figured if it would get about 1.5 miles in the open, I could theoretically get 70 feet through one brick wall LOL. I have to do some more testing I guess.

1 Like

If you don’t have the QR codes anymore….is it still possible to add a device for LR? IE is the only way to do this is via smart start which can only be done via the QR code?

I tried adding a device this morning and my controller supports it (zooz 800) and updated zwave JS. In zwave JS I can see that the controller supports long range, and the end device does as well, but it added to the network as a normal mesh device.

Placing a device into long range mode can only be done during inclusion and using smart start.

You don’t technically need the QR CODE. You need the full Device Specific Key. As long as you have that you can manually add the device to the smart start list.

Also you probably still have access to the QR codes as they are usually on the device itself as well as the packing.

1 Like