Z-Wave Multicast Error

I am having an issue getting the z-wave multicast service to work. I am currently using zwave2mqtt via websocket. I can get the multicast to work using single entities, but when I add more than one entity I receive an error.

This works:

service: zwave_js.multicast_set_value
data:
  command_class: '37'
  property: targetValue
  value: true
  endpoint: 0
target:
  entity_id: 
    - switch.office_light

and this works:

data:
target:
  entity_id: switch.living_room_light

However, I am getting an error with this:

data:
target:
  entity_id:
    - switch.living_room_light
    - switch.office_light

Here is the error I receive when attempting to call service with more than one entity:

2022-05-27 07:34:11.451 ERROR ZWAVE-SERVER: This virtual node does not support the Command Class Binary Switch! (ZW0302)
ZWaveError: This virtual node does not support the Command Class Binary Switch! (ZW0302)
    at Object.get (/opt/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/node/VirtualEndpoint.ts:107:12)
    at VirtualNode.setValue (/opt/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/node/VirtualNode.ts:63:13)
    at Function.handle (/opt/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/multicast_group/message_handler.js:13:51)
    at Object.multicast_group (/opt/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:41:112)
    at Client.receiveMessage (/opt/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:96:99)
    at WebSocket.<anonymous> (/opt/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:49:45)
    at WebSocket.emit (node:events:526:28)
    at WebSocket.emit (node:domain:475:12)
    at Receiver.receiverOnMessage (/opt/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/node_modules/ws/lib/websocket.js:1137:20)
    at Receiver.emit (node:events:526:28)

Doe anyone have any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks in advance!!!

I am brand new to HA and Z-Wave and am coming from Insteon, where there are network level groups that can make a whole set of lights change states simultaneously and not have the “popcorn effect”. I am trying to replicate it on Z-Wave and figured that multicast sounds right. I ran into the exact same issue when trying to setup multicast. (I get the same “This virtual node does not support the Command Class Binary Switch!” error when I have more than one target, but it works with single targets.)

Anyone know if this should work or if there is a different approach to have a set of lights come on or off at exactly the same time?

Edit: This post seems to imply that it should work.

Do you have info on the devices you’re using and the type of security for them (if any)?

I am using Zooz ZEN71 and ZEN76 light switches with S2 security enabled.

Z-Wave JS doesn’t support multicast for S2 yet. When you use a single entity, the integration just sends a normal non-multicast command.

2 Likes