Z-Wave network lost. I believe after update to Z-Wave JS UI v2.1.1 - Serial Port Error

Error message in Z-Wave JS UI console:

Driver: Failed to open the serial port: Error: I/O error setting custom baud rate of 115200 (ZW0100)

This leads me to believe it’s something to do with the VM/USB settings. However, I hadn’t made any changes (or even touched) the z-stick hardware, or the VM serial port settings in ages.

The Hardware / Software

• Running Home Assistant OS as a VM in virtualbox on Windows Host.
  • Z-Stick shows up in host device manager on COM4.
  • Virtualbox serial port settings are pointing to Port Number: COM4 and Path/Address: COM4

What I did right before it went down

• Ran several updates in a row
    • zwavejs
    • zwavejs ui
      • Side note: Should I be running both of these? I thought I only needed one, but I assume UI installs regular JS on it’s own. Should I disable the non UI add on?
    • Home Assistant Core from 2023.09.x to 2023.10.2

Of Note

• When I noticed this issue, I assumed the USB hub I had the Z-stick plugged into died, so I removed it from the equation. That changed the serial port from COM3 to COM4. Prior to all this, everything was running fine on COM3, but the z-wave network stopped working before I made these changes.

At this point I’m stumped. HassOS doesn’t see the Z-Stick, but I don’t know why.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Z-Wave train wreck that started last month!

https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/issues/6341

I actually got it up and running again, but not really sure how. Had a long back and forth on discord with someone very helpful and we tried several things that all seemingly didn’t work. That’s until I had moved on and rebooted one last time for other reasons, when it came back on, it was good to go.

You weren’t kidding about a train wreck. I’m sure my next reboot will kill the network again. Joy.

1 Like

I’m running HA inside of a Proxmox VM. If the Z-Wave JS UI doesn’t want to see/start the USB stick, I’ll try these steps to fix it:

Attempt 1 - Stop the add-on, “unplug” the USB stick from the VM, reconnect it, then start the add-on.

If that doesn’t work…

Attempt 2 - Completely shut down the VM and start it back up (NOT a reboot).

One of these sequences have worked for me every time.

1 Like

I’ll keep that in mind. Appreciate the tip. I’m just hoping to not restart ever again. Lol

1 Like

Just wanted to say, I’m the same situation with Proxmox, and your ‘attempt 1’ solved it for me when I was ready to tear my hair out. Thanks!

You are a hero. I was rebooting, and not shutting down. Thank you.