Z Wave, New Entity - After 6 months?

Okay, So I’ve set up Fibaro Dimmer 2’s quite a few times before, I have 13 of them on the current installation. (generic z-wave installation)
I did some configuration last night and following such I sweep up ALL entities into a “Parking” view so that new “Unused” entities are easy to spot.
I went back to more configuration this morning and “Lo And Behold !” - I have a new entity !!!

sensor.fibaro_system_fgd212_dimmer_2_luminance

None of the other (identical) devices have this entity (a sensor at that) and it doesn’t make sense.
Why would a light have a luminence value (currently reading 176.0 lux, even though it’s off) ?
Why would it take approx. 6 months to appear ?
Why do none of the other devices exhibit the same sensor ?

I maintain entity naming notes (for consistency) and this does not appear in my notes for that device, so it’s ‘brand new’ to me.
A dimmer has no way of knowng what luminence it is producing (unless you enter a complex formula dependent on efficiency of the bulb’s power supply, linearisation of output to bulb output and therefore lux generated - yeah good luck with that) It doesnt even have lux (at what distance ?) at minimum and maximum - and let’s assume an “mx + c” from that

I know that ‘some’ devices generate new entities when they are populated e.g. “energy previous reading” (which seems obvious, but I still don;t know they announce the entity from day one and say “but the value is 0”)

Anyone having a clue - let me know
Thanks

Edit: More Info : -
{{ states.sensor.fibaro_system_fgd212_dimmer_2_luminance }} reports

<template state sensor.fibaro_system_fgd212_dimmer_2_luminance=176.0; node_id=22, value_index=3, value_instance=1, value_id=72057594412023858, power_consumption=0.6, unit_of_measurement=lux, friendly_name=FIBARO System FGD212 Dimmer 2 Luminance @ 2020-07-05T13:18:43.871015+01:00>

<template state sensor.fibaro_system_fgd212_dimmer_2_luminance=176.0; node_id=22, value_index=3, value_instance=1, value_id=72057594412023858, power_consumption=0.6, unit_of_measurement=lux, friendly_name=FIBARO System FGD212 Dimmer 2 Luminance @ 2020-07-05T13:18:43.871015+01:00>

The second method of including it seems easier to read :man_shrugging:

With the regular zwave component I’ve had unrelated entities randomly appear and disappear for nodes, like a switch entity for a battery powered multisensor. Always just assumed it was a bug with the old openzwave library the component used. I haven’t noticed the phantom entities with the new openzwave (beta) integration.

1 Like

Okay, so your suggestion is that imminent changes ‘may’ improve things ?
Okay I’ll keep an eye on it and see how we go
We are all waiting on fishwaldo now
:rofl:
My God he’s a critical contributor to us z-wave guys
Anybody else I should be ready to roll out the champagne for ???
:champagne:

Thanks for your insight

some older Z-Wave SDK’s on devices have a bug where the device would magically “grow” capabilities. (sensors)

This was reported and acknowledged by the Silabs guys - But challenge is getting vendors to release new firmware based on the fixed SDK.

:rofl:
… and from the example, totally random too.
I shall just have to see what fruits ripen on which trees :+1:
I deliberately did not tag you, but thanks for dropping by