Z Wave not present after software update

Hi All,

Just did a HA software update and now my Z Wave USB stick is not visible and working. How is that possible

Invalid config

The following integrations and platforms could not be set up:

• zwave
  • tesla

Please check your config

Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)
default_config:

# Uncomment this if you are using SSL/TLS, running in Docker container, etc.
# http:
#   base_url: example.duckdns.org:8123

# Mobile app
mobile_app:

# Zwave path
zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0    

# Sensors
sensor:
  - platform: buienradar
    monitored_conditions:
      - symbol
      - humidity
      - temperature
      - windspeed
      - pressure

# Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)
default_config:

# Uncomment this if you are using SSL/TLS, running in Docker container, etc.
# http:
#   base_url: example.duckdns.org:8123

# Mobile app
mobile_app:

# Zwave path
zwave:

# Sensors
sensor:
  - platform: buienradar
    monitored_conditions:
      - symbol
      - humidity
      - temperature
      - windspeed
      - pressure

Not enough info to help you. you will need to post all the details about your setup.
what type of Zwave integration were you running? have you read the breaking changes regarding Zwave an the last update?

I’m not sure what is what. Just did a sofware update of Home Assist. Using a raspbarry Pi and Z Wave USB stick.

Had a cerebral infarction a couple of months ago so please keep it simple

The old ZWave was removed in favor of ZWaveJS, a lot of grief about it in the main release thread.

Not sure about Tesla.

Tesla no worries. Only the zwave help would be great. What should I do to fix it?

The Zwave integration got deprecated, anounced almost a year ago.
In the last update, it got removed definitely.
You need to migrate to ZWaveJS.

There is plenty info here about, how to do it. :wink:

Maybe the best start is to roll back the update, so you get the old ZWave working again and then start the migration.

Okay so have to add the z wave JS app inside the HA or different way? Not sure how to do this, I suffered of brain damage a couple of months ago so please can you point me out how?

delete this in my config

# Zwave path
zwave:

You may want to look for someone to help you in person. It’s not realistic provide step by step comments in a forum situation given the high variable of everyone’s individual setup. this is not a simple thing. it takes some effort to switch it out.

okay thanks. How can I do a rollback so I can use the “old” software and can control my house again.

I see, you are Dutch. Which city are you living in? If it is not to far from me, i could help you in person, if you want.

1 Like

Yes I’m Dutch and living in Voorthuizen (Barneveld)

Your help would be great

That’s 30-40 minutes from here. I send you a private message :wink:

1 Like

Okay, I’m now trying to get a rollback so things will work again for now.

1 Like

You can start with reading here, in the second half of the page there is migration manual. If it becomes to heavy, you know, how to reach me…

The integration no longer exists. I got caught in this trap just two days ago by ignoring the breaking changes. (I wish that breaking changes were more visible)…

Here is how I did the upgrade.

I tried using the migration wizard, but that did not work here.

Here are my notes from my migration:

Everything worked up to Step 8. “Paste information into ZwaveJS2MQTT configuration area.”.

In step 8 the settings/zwave screen looks nothing like mine between “serial port” and “Disable MQTT Gateway”
There is no “WS Server” or “Network Key”.
I ignored the missing items and pressed “save”.

Step 9 “Watch the device list and wait for the last node to be found” took no time at all, and Step 10 was unnecessary.
Step 11, There was no “Selected connection method”.
Step 12, “Rename Devices using the text file as a reference from the Preparation #4 step.”
When I click on “device”. I get the device info, controls, etc, but no “entity”.
To change the Name and ID, I had to go to Configuration/Entities, Click on the entity, Control, Settings.

Once done, you have to rename every Z-wave device. After that the automations, scripts and cards will use the friendly name you gave each device.

1 Like