Z wave plus

hi,
sorry to intrude into your all time…
As a new member I am trying to figure out what control hub to by that will be smoothly supported by home assistant?
I am planning to do light switches, door locks music, (alexa and so forth), nest, blinds, outside lights including some lighting that is out on the property (like 200 feet out)

That being said, I have HomeSeer HS-WD100+ Z-Wave Plus Scene-Capable Wall Dimmers (2x) and next step is to connect to a hub and get hub setup with home assistant.

I am solid dev in Python and definitely will contribute on the dev side.

All what I am trying to understand is what is good out there on hub side that is really good and and how many of these hubs I need to get to get the whole house working …

many thanks…

Most, not all, though, use a Raspberry Pi as their hub, if I am understanding your question correctly. With that, you will need some device to plug into the Raspberry Pi in order to send and receive messages/signals to the Z-Wave devices such as Aeotec’s ZStick 5.

I have run Home Assistant on the Raspberry Pi 3 with great results though if you do not manage your history database storage could become an issue depending on the SD card you use. I currently run HA on a Linux server now with all kinds of storage, RAM and, of course, more processing power.

If you are comfortable with Python, then there is also the AppDaemon for automation’s as to using YAML configuration files, etc. The only devices you listed that you ‘may’ have an issue with are the door locks. Recent updates have added more functionality for them, particularly with respect to user code management. Other than that everything else you mentioned should integrate very nicely into HA.

With regards to the lighting that you stated is 200 feet out, there may be some signal issues there. I would be of such opinion as to almost guarantee it. So you may need some kind of Z-Wave repeater to get the signal out that from which are available. I just don’t think the Z-Wave transmitter would be able to reach that far effectively, especially considering it would be broadcast from within your home and have to penetrate walls, structure, etc. Even with direct line of sight and no obstructions that would be a bit of a challenge.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hi StormStrikes,
thanks for the quick response and for lengthily response…
Now, am I correctly understanding you:
You are saying build Raspberry PI as hub!
I was thinking of running HA on my Linux desktop, like you (beast Iron have tons of power as I do ML in Python) but i guess I will need to by Aeotec’s ZStick 5 usb stick, right?
is there anything that is PCI-Express or that type of card that is more powerful or that sort of thing?

if the Linux server is in let’s say first floor and HS-WD100+ Z-Wave Plus Scene-Capable Wall Dimmer is on second floor do i need to worry about reception as u mentioned walls and stuff…
Is there any repeaters for Z-Wave protocol and finally i can’t wrap my mind around “Plus” Z-Wave!
Is there any difference that I need to worry about Plus …

I am not big on YAML (json or plain configparser is much better in Python) but we can work with that …

But yes when I get HA to work I will contribute anything Python, no problems…

best - sasha

Any Z-Wave device that is mains powered will automatically be a repeater. Z-Wave plus brings a few advantages (see here), but the key ones are improved range, and the ability to add devices to the Z-Wave network through a repeater.

I’d highly recommend that you get a compatible Z-Wave plus stick (or if you use a Raspberry Pi, the Razberry board). That way you’re fully compatible with any Z-Wave plus devices.

As for the range between the controller and dimmer, “that depends”. My controller is upstairs, and most of my Z-Wave devices are downstairs. However some of those are immediately under the controller, and most of the others only have a plasterboard wall or 2 in the way. The one that’s also the other side of a brick wall doesn’t have direct communications with the controller.

The best advice is to locate your controller as centrally as you can. If that means deploying a Pi3, connected to your network by WiFi, to some central location then that’s better than staying with a PC off in the corner.

Yes, either using a Raspberry Pi or Linux Desktop/Server you will need something like Aeotec’s ZStick 5 or in the case of the Raspberry Pi you could also use the Razberry daughter board as Tinkerer pointed out.

With respect to the distance between you Dimmer switch and your device running Home Assistant, I do not see you having any issue with that. I have ZWave switches up in my attic that have no issue. However, I do have other ZWave switches and receptacles that, as Tinkerer also pointed out, serve as a repeater node since they are powered off the commercial/mains power. Although, as I mentioned they do make a specific device that serves as a repeater as well.

The ZWave Plus is just the next generation of the ZWave protocol that has longer range, better battery life, etc.

The only device you mentioned that I am of the belief you may have trouble with is the one that is out on the property some 200 feet away. That could be a tough one unless you have some spot along the way in which you could install a repeater or some other commercially power ZWave device. If it is 200 feet beyond the wall of your house, it could be challenging.

Hi @Tinkerer

Is the razberry good for long distances? Because Aeotec’s ZStick 5 claims to have a range of 400m?

I cannot decide between the two. I am trying to get a z wave signal 9m from my post box (which has the door sensors) and I live in the second floor.

Four hundred meters? That seems improbable, given the spec (for Z-Wave Plus) is for 150m in clear air, and if it’s putting out that kind of power it won’t get through approvals. Even if it’s signal is receivable 400 meters away, the other devices won’t have that kind of reach.

Now, the range you really get depends on what’s between your devices. I’ve got 2 devices less than 2 meters apart that can’t see each other - because there’s a solid wall in the way (it’s really worst case - pretty much the entire of that 2 meters is the wall - they’re on either side of the wall, one just under 2 meters to the side of the other). I’ve also got 2 devices that are at opposite corners of the house (about 12 to 15 meters apart) with 4 plasterboard walls in the way, and they can communicate.

What it really comes down to is that you need to look at where the post box is, and how you can best improve the ability of the lower power signal to reach it. That may mean you’ll want a powered Z-Wave Plus device somewhere to create that “best case” signal.

Oh, and you really want to ensure you’re only using Z-Wave Plus devices.

1 Like

You are correct but this what I was referring to 400m https://aeotec.com/z-wave-usb-stick/1760-z-stick-gen5-technical-specifications.html

Thanks anyway

PA Mode, whatever that is, is unlikely to be supported by other devices.

I don’t like the daughterboard as if you use a solid metal pi case you’ve messed up your range. With the Stick it’s external.

It is also handy to remove the stick and use the button to link remote devices directly.

Which is also a really good way of messing up your install - don’t do that. There’s a warning about it in the documentation for a reason.

1. It will only do a non-secure inclusion, which if a device supports Secure inclusion often results in the device having a limited feature set
  2. Many devices only fully report on their capabilities at inclusion time, and you just robbed Home Assistant of that information

Yes, sometimes it works just fine. When it doesn’t though it’ll leave you chasing

I’ve got 150 Zwave devices on my network; and probably ~15 or so have been added with the button. No issues with those devices and they were fully detected. Latest addition was a HomeSeer WD100 in the pool pump house and it was detected as Zwave Plus and all the config options properly populated.

We live on a 3 acre lot and it would not be practical without this ability.

Plus for years, before HA had a Zwave control panel, the recommended method was the button or OZWCP…