Z-Wave Polling Questions Answered

I thought of suggesting that and figured, “Nah, he’ll think I’m talking down to him”. My mistake. It’s little things that can trip you up - I’m sorry I didn’t ask now!

Haha, yes, its the small obvious things… :slight_smile:
Believe it or not, this is my 10th z-wave device added!

Update on the burglar, haven’t confirmed it works actually, since its difficult to set it off without setting off a motion…

1 Like

I always wondered about the need for it since it’s really just a tamper alert to show you the case has been opened.

If I have motion in my house when I’m not there and it suddenly stops reporting… I’m pretty sure what’s going on!

Sorry for joining in late, but this info has been very valuable for me. Question though, I have the Remotec ZX-120 IR device and am wondering if I can poll it while it is set on FLiRS or am I better off getting it to be Always Listening and then just setting it to update regularly. I can plug it’s USB in permanently so battery power isn’t an issue

Reason being is I want it to trigger the AC/Heater when the temp is low or high at certain times but it currently only records the temp once an automation is triggered (I assume polling does the same thing in that sense).

If I do poll it, can I set that to just happen a minute or so before the automation would trigger instead of throughout the day? For example I want to see if the temp is below a certain point at 4pm and then turn on the heater so the house is warm when I get home.

If you have any chance of just having it always on, and if the device itself supports sending reports on its own to HA that is always going to be the preferred option.

As for polling before a timed trigger, you could setup an automation that switches an input boolean, then use the new zwave update node service to run an automation.

1 Like

Thanks. figured it was best to have the device try to send reports automatically. Will try the boolean option though if the device won’t play nice

Seems like the per-device polling config has changed since this post was publish.

This worked for me:

zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0
  config_path: /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/libopenzwave-0.3.3-py3.4-linux-armv7l.egg/config/
  polling_interval: 500
  autoheal: true
  device_config:
    light.master_2nd_light_switch_level:
      polling_intensity: 1
1 Like

@avayner Having just done some of my own testing, I also had to set the polling_interval very low before I’d see any poll responses from devices. (Went from never to ~2 minutes.) However, this eventually caused HASS to eat up all my RAM, forcing me to reboot.

After reboot, a reasonable polling interval of 30000 started giving me near-instant status updates for some reason. On reboot, everything is new - drivers, daemons, etc. Have you tried a reboot? If a reboot helps, then maybe this is a driver issue.

I’ve actually implemented the solution listed here

I seem to be running in to a problem related to this that is driving me nuts.

I have an Aeon Labs energy reader hooked up to read the power being used by my washing machine and dryer to aid in automations and notifications. Whenever Home Assistant starts up it pulls perfect readings from the device, but then they never update again, ever. Restarting home assistant causes a new perfect reading, but only once, and then there is no update ever again.

I thought I could fix this with polling (obviously the device can be polled because starting home-assistant pulls the correct reading every single time) however I just can’t seem to get it to poll again without restarting home assistant.

configuration.yaml:
  zwave:
      usb_path: /dev/zwave
      polling_interval: 10000
      device_config:
         sensor.aeotec_dsb09104_home_energy_meter_power_9:
           polling_intensity: 1

The device has many sensors (sensor.aeotec_dsb09104_home_energy_meter_power and numbered 2-6, as well as interval, energy, etc) I also tried the friendly name sensor.washer_and_dryer, but that didn’t change anything either.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? restarting home assistant every few seconds to get a new value is obviously not a practical solution!

1 Like

You need to setup the reporting for the device.

Refer to this section Associating your Home Energy Meter to Report Automatically on this link.

Make sure to remove the polling entries you created as well.

Enjoy!

I have tried setting those parameters through the zwave section of home assistant. There is no indication that the parameters took on the monitor, and there was no change in behavior.

This works properly on startup of home assistant, but simply never refreshes, it seems polling would be an appropriate solution to the problem, if I can get home assistant to actually do it.

Having the same issues currenlty. The config used to honor polling intensity, it appears as if it no longer pushes polling intensity to the device.

In 0.63 I purchased a new GE dimmer, I added polling_intensity: 1 to the config, badda bing bada boom, worked great.

Now in 0.67, I purchased 3 more, same model number. polling_intensity is not getting pushed to the new devices.

Fairly sure there is an issue with it right now.

EDIT: I have to clarify, I believe i did it in 0.63. It may have been 0.47 to 0.63. I upgraded in early jan 2018, adding the new dimmers then. I don’t remember if I did it prior to upgrading to 0.63 or after.

2nd Edit: I did it after upgrading to 0.62. Just verified with my commits to github.

I’m still doing some investigating, but from what I’ve seen so far, editing the YAML config files and changing the polling intensity and then restarting HA has absolutely no effect. Calling the service zwave.set_poll_intensity with the appropriate arguments does work because it calls the underlying OpenZWave APIs that configure the polling. OpenZWave then saves those settings in its own config file.

One other thing that I noticed is (at least if you’re using a version of OpenZWave from git master) is that the polling intensity and polling interval doesn’t work the same as described in the HA docs. Instead it polls one device every polling interval,working its way through the list of devices to be polled. That means if you have ten devices configured with a polling intensity of 1 and a polling interval of 60000 it will be 5 minutes between polls of an individual device. I have not yet tested with polling intensity settings other than 0 or 1. There does appear to be configuration settings in OpenZWave to change the behavior back to what is descibed in the HA docs but I haven’t experimented with that yet.

Do you have the appropriate arguments for the service zwave.set_poll_intensity or a link to documentation that does?

If you go to the services developer tool and enter zwave.set_poll_intensity it will show you the arguments you need. The tricky part is getting the value id. I find that it’s easiest to get it from the entity registry.

Yeah, I know where that id is. I’m pretty sure that the entity registry broke the update to polling_intensity. Because I’m positive it was working before that addition.

The link from the entity_id to the zwave id just isn’t there when setting the polling_intensity. If what you are saying is correct and you need to use the zwave id to set the polling_intensity, a bug could have been introduced between the entity_id -> zwave_id linkage during the service call when setting polling_intensity. I might dive into the zwave component code later tonight to see if there is an easy fix.

What do you have your Group 1 Reports and Group 1 Interval set to?

The interval is set to over 700, I keep trying to set it to about 10, but there is no apparent result and querying that value shows the over 700 result.
I will try the zwave polling option suggested above.

well, still getting nowhere. I tried zwave.set_poll_intensity, and got no errors in home-assistant.log, however I got the following in OZW_log.txt:
2018-04-17 19:52:01.288 Detail, EnablePoll not required to do anything (value is already in the poll list)
And absolutely no change to the behaviour of the readings. Still only ever updates when restarting home assistant.