Z Wave problem disappearing node

updated to 0.44, all was well.

Bought a new zwave wall switch GE which basically came up with no name and I went into OZWCP and renamed it. Changed the configuration.yaml to the appropriate names then noticed my two motion sensors, an eco link and a fibaro had disappearing names. I changed the names in configuration yaml to reflect and all was well.

Then I went into OZWCP and renamed the two motion sensors and now they will show up with a zwave name like

zwave.__15

however no sensor data shows up at all. For all intensive purposes they are gone.

This is the zwave info in States

Sleeping (Probe)	averageResponseRTT: 0

product_name:
receivedDups: 0
max_baud_rate: 40000
capabilities: routing,beaming
receivedCnt: 0
is_zwave_plus: false
is_info_received: false
lastRequestRTT: 0
friendly_name:
is_failed: false
sentTS: 2017-05-07 18:36:22:393
is_awake: false
wake_up_interval: 3600
manufacturer_name:
sentCnt: 1
receivedTS: 2017-05-07 18:36:21:278
averageRequestRTT: 0
node_id: 15
query_stage: Probe
retries: 0
receivedUnsolicited: 0
sentFailed: 1
lastResponseRTT: 0
is_ready: false

Any ideas how to get these back? My config yaml does have all the sensor old names but I tried # blocking them out to no avail. I’ve copied the xml files over to the .homeassistant directory.

and various other things. I’m stumped at this point.

Just noticed this in OWZ_log.txt

post: key=value data=sensor ecolink motion detector size=30

2017-05-07 19:00:53.388 Error, mgr, Manager::GetDriver failed - Home ID 0x00000000 is unknown
2017-05-07 19:00:53.388 Warning, Exception: Manager.cpp:373 - 100 - Invalid HomeId passed to GetDriver
2017-05-07 19:00:55.999 Error, mgr, Manager::GetDriver failed - Home ID 0x00000000 is unknown
2017-05-07 19:00:56.000 Warning, Exception: Manager.cpp:373 - 100 - Invalid HomeId passed to GetDriver
2017-05-07 19:00:57.494 Error, mgr, Manager::GetDriver failed - Home ID 0x00000000 is unknown
2017-05-07 19:00:57.494 Warning, Exception: Manager.cpp:373 - 100 - Invalid HomeId passed to GetDriver
2017-05-07 19:00:57.710 Error, mgr, Manager::GetDriver failed - Home ID 0x00000000 is unknown
2017-05-07 19:00:57.710 Warning, Exception: Manager.cpp:373 - 100 - Invalid HomeId passed to GetDriver

I had/have this issue with a Z-Wave light bulb, however, it seemed to disappear when using Emulated_Hue to allow Alexa to turn the light on/off. Try restarting Home Assistant and see if the Z-Wave devices get a different ID.

Done the reboot thing numerous times. No joy

I would try removing the nodes and add them back in as secured nodes. That solved my problem when something similar happened

That does not look good. Did you change your config_path under “zwave:”. ?

The one sensor just reappeared however I’m still working on the other one. I have no idea what made the eco link sensor come back. I’ll try the secure node next

and it disappeared again. Always comes back with just a number for a name. I rename it on the aeotec stick with OZWCP but the change never reflects in HA

Your changes are saved to your zwcfg_xxxxx.xml file in the OZWCP directory when you click on “save changes” in OZWCP. To make the changes to home assistant, you need to either (1) copy that file back to the /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ directory or (2) create a symbolic link from that file in the OZWCP directory to the /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ directory that will keep those changes synchronized…

You click on save in OZWCP. Exit OZWCP and copy the file to the /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ directory. Start HA and your name changes and location changes should show up in HA.

Yep I’ve been doing all that even chown ing the .xml files in the homeassistant directory.

Now I’m at the point where the sensor rename worked but the binary sensor and sensors are not showing. Lets say I name it sensor ecolink motion detector. Once it fouls up I can never name it that again or it will just be a number in States.

So now it is wave.sensor_ecolink_19 but again none of the associated sensors are showing up. Hopefully they’ll just pop up out of nowhere like they did before.

You are indeed making alot of changes, so it is hard to understand what is wrong and why? You first mentioned that you had a problem with a GE switch and now you mention an ecolink switch. Which switch has the problem is important, because some devices enable you to get a binary report in OZWCP which will change the attributes and output…

This may be stupid but I almost think I’m playing around with dead or near dead batteries but too late to confirm tonight. If I take the cover off the eco link the binary sensor appears, put it on it disappears.

You are probably seeing the “tamper” function. If the “burglar” parameter might indicate a special code for tampering or removing the cover. Burglar typically indicates 8 for motion and 0 for no motion. Please see here: Aeon Multisensor 6 - No Motion or Tamper

You might also want to google for the zwave parameters for that specific switch to see what represents what. As an advanced topics, people would configure a template sensor to translate those values into words such as “Motion”, “Tamper”, “No Motion”, etc… Please see here: Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor

I have it kind of set now okay, at least just the eco link. I have to physically remove the battery and put the cover on every time I restart HA. It doesn’t detect the motion detector unless I do that. Very strange. When I move the burglar sensor goes to 8 then 0 after the 4 minute cycle.

Not sure why it doesn’t find it at HA restart. Seems to functioning normally.

Are you saying that it does not detect motion unless you remove the battery? When you start HA Zwave goes through an initialization that takes some time (sometimes 10 minutes in busy networks with alot of devices), where information will be delivered slowly or not at all. If you only have two devices, that time should be just maybe 5 minutes where you have to wait, until detection becomes “instaneous”. You should not have to remove the battery for devices to work. You would typically just have to wait until the network initializes.

You can see the zwave activity, by changing to the /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ directory and then typing: “tail -f OZW_Log.txt”.

I’ll check it later. Here’s what is happening. In order for me to “see” the sensors and binary sensors I have to manually wake the devices. Just got both going. I hope that you are right about the network detection because I’m walking out the door for a trip and can’t follow up for a bit and don’t want to ssh in and restart the network if I’m wrong. Long as HA doesn’t need a reboot over the trip period I have everything working. All my notifications and motion sensors.

I’ll say this though. I built an ESP8266 with a PIR that isn’t goofy like this. It just works. I may have to rethink my motion detection strategy somewhat.

I appreciate all the help. Will follow up in a few days.

Ok I kind of figured it out.

When I would add the device it wasn’t really getting named on the stick. Just would show up as a node.

Had to:

Remove every device that had just a node number for a name
Add the devices (duh)
Go to OZWCP and wake the device.
Then the name would appear.
Hit Save.
remove the .xml files from HA directory.
cp the xml files from control panel directory to HA directory.
Change permissions from root to homeassistant
reboot

Every device shows up at boot with a conventional name that HA gives it. I’m a happy lad again.

I’m having this issue with a Z-Wave Light bulb that keeps disappearing when when I issue a command via Alexa to turn off a group (Alexa turn off living room). The LIFX bulb in the group will turn off fine, however, the Z-Wave bulb seems to work for a few days and then just decides to stay on and subsequently is removed from the Z-Wave nodes in Home Assistant.

When I repair it it gets a brand new node ID, etc.

Driving me crazy…